Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: WSB, Calicos and Halibut at sundown. 6/10

Default WSB, Calicos and Halibut at sundown. 6/10

Set out for an evening session and arrived 5:45pm. Conditions have been great. Mild wind and small waves. Rick set out on a dive mission for a Ghost and came back with a 30" halibut. 11lbs. I fished for about an hour in grassed out conditions. Stuck it out and found the hot spot. I casted at this spot for about 15 minutes then it started heating up.

One of those bites were weedless swimbait heads were pretty mandatory. First hook up i was stoked and scored a calico around 11". Then i farmed two fish after a 10 second battle in the next 15 minutes. felt like a smaller ghost or 16"ish calico.

Kept at it and first nice one on the sand was a 17" calico

10 minutes later dealing with grass every retrieve i got another nice calico to hit. Looked around 14"

Not too much longer and i was hooked up with another fish. a halibut at 20"

All of these fish were caught on a big hammer with a 1/2 oz warbaits. I usually clip the guard down 20-40% depending on condition.

Farmed those two decent fish but now i'm feeling good. Rick started to come near 10 minutes later. I hook up as he is swimming about 200' from me. He sees me hook up i this calico as i was ending my retrieve and grinding it in. another 17"

Next cast after that i hook up with another nice fish. Fought pretty nice and i was stoked to first see the tail slaps on the surface. I knew i had the ghost i set out for.

Fished for another 30 minutes and by that time Rick was out of the water with his prize and wanting to go. I had chill for a little longer. Conditions kept getting worse and we left. Called it a great quick session and off we went.

Hope the conditions stabilize and the great fishing continues. Forgot to mention i saw a bunch of red crabs when i sent out to go long rodding the other night. Enjoy your weekend everyone - Sean

Nice session Sean.
    Always feels good when you get your target fish..
    Robert
    <><

Good job Sean! Looks like your gonna need to keep an eye on that spot for conditions to get right, then it will be on!!!!

that's cool

Nice as always Sean. I live vicariously through your posts. Good to see your getting them on my favorite big hammer. The sexiest smelt

what beach???