Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dropped MY D/S Rod in Cleghorn - REWARD Offered!

Don as you know Silverwood has a lot of underwater stuff to get hung up on. Actually it has more than a lot of stuff. While I agree that the stringer is a great idea I wouldn't bet on it lasting more than a throw or two before getting hung and lost. Do you have down imaging on your electronics to help in your search.

What a drag Don! At Perris a couple years ago, I lost my favorite ultralight panfish rod. I had just caught a giant Bluegill that had the jig down in it's mouth. I put my rod down on my float tube in front of me with the fish in the water so It wouldn't flop all over the place, to get my needle nose pliers out of a compartment. I thought I had enough of the rod and reel back so the fish could not pull it in...WRONG...all of a sudden I see my rod get yanked across my legs and down into the water which was 18 feet deep.. I tried for about an hour to snag that rod with my heavier bass rod. All I got was an old metal chain stringer, and reel case and a brown beer bottle. I'm sure that 11 inch Bluegill swam far far away with my outfit and eventually snapped my 2 lb test line. Oh well, it was an older rod and a cheap Shimano reel, but that rod was awesome and had the lightest, smallest diameter tip I've ever seen. Can't find them anywhere. From now on, I'm going to use a tether!

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Don as you know Silverwood has a lot of underwater stuff to get hung up on. Actually it has more than a lot of stuff. While I agree that the stringer is a great idea I wouldn't bet on it lasting more than a throw or two before getting hung and lost. Do you have down imaging on your electronics to help in your search.
    No down imaging electronics, (an older Lowrance HDS 7), but I just receive the snagging hooks in the mail that you had suggested. I did realize the order from Cabela's would contain eight of them. I have plenty to go with now and I think a trip to Silverwood is in order. Maybe at least I can escape this heat in the I.E.

If your in need of a second had in assisting your retrieval I live on the way to Silverwood and would be happy to assist.

DEVOREFLYER,

Thank you very much for the offer. I would enjoy meeting another avid fisherman such as your self. Shot me a PM with a contact number, and I will give you a call when I get loose and 'am heading up.

Not sure what material your reel, its gear train or the reel seat of the rod is made out of, but Harbor Freight has some extremely powerful and very affordable magnets - less chance of getting hung on structure or debris than with a grappling rig. With 150# of lifting force, it might be interesting if you get hung on somebody's lost anchor and chain...or maybe a missing trolling motor...good luck and hope you get your outfit back.

Brewcrafter,

I got some weighted grappling hooks from Cabela's, but I haven't had a chance to get back up to Silverwood and see if I have any luck snagging it.

I agree with brewcrafter. I opened the thread to suggest a harbor freight retrieval magnet. If you know the spot, bouncing a big *** magnet will likely be easier than a snagging tool, especially if there is a lot of structure. Ive pulled all kinds of crap out of puddingstone with a magnet. Bike frame, knives, a sign, a leatherman, rod holders, a bait bucket, countless lures and hooks. Hell, sometimes magnet fishing is as fun as actual fishing.

Slims,

Nothing on the rod would be attracted by a magnet. All carbon fiber & stainless steel. I did pick up some weighted grappling hooks; but I haven't had a chance to get back up to Silverwood and try them out. With the luck I've had at Silverwood the last few trips, I am not too optimistic!

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12