Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropped MY D/S Rod in Cleghorn - REWARD Offered!

Default Dropped MY D/S Rod in Cleghorn - REWARD Offered!

I have decided to go ahead and post this embarrassing screw-up I made at Silverwood on May 9th last month.

Here's my sad story:

A good friend and myself went up on Monday, May 9th to pay the Club Tournament fees for an upcoming Bass Tournament on the following Sunday. Since we got there early and the office was not yet open, we launched and did some pre-fishing . We started first in Miller Canyon for not much love, (one keeper on a D/S). We then moved back over to Cleghorn Canyon and we slowly fished the North shoreline. About half way back into Cleghorn I decided to change from the D/S to a creature bait. As I was setting my D/S rod down on the deck, I bumped the mount on my Lowrance Fish-finder and knocked the rod out of my hand. Naturally it didn't fall onto the deck...it hit the boat rail and slid into the water! I started to jump into the water and grab it, but remembered I was still wearing my inflatable life vest. I immediately turned and put a way-point on the position and noted we were in 22 feet of water....too deep for an "old guy" to dive after the rod. We then spent and hour trying to snag the rod with jigs to no avail.

I build custom rods and that D/S rod was my favorite D/S rod, (out of the 5 that I have). So, If anyone is lucky enough to snag my rod, I will pay a $50 Reward for the return. I realize I am hoping the "snagger" is an honest guy or gal and needs the money more than the rod!

Here is a description of the rod:

Blank: Batson Rainshadow RX8+ blank, Reel: Shamano Sustain 2500 reel, with 5 lb. Sunline Shooter Floro-carbon, (ouch that makes it hurt worse), Guide: ATC Microwave Guides, Red Abalone between slit grip and in front of foregrip, Red and Silver Metallic thread wrappings.

IMHO, the Batson Rainshadow D/S blanks are the best D/S blank available and I would build another one for myself; but unfortunately I can't afford it...'retired and live on Social Security.

Anyone luck enough to pull it up will get the $50 Reward. Just send me a private message, PLEASE, and I will drive to a convenient meeting place for the lucky reward recipient.

BassinPLS
    Don
    Last edited by BassinPLS; 06-10-2016 at 07:15 AM.

Bummer, I hope you get your outfit back. Good Luck.

Cleghorn's a pretty large area. Not trying to steal any info, but any chance you can post a screenshot of that waypoint you saved on your fishfinder screen when the rod took the dip then post just that waypoint here on FNN? Give guys a better area to help look.

I'll keep my ears open, lot's of honest guys among the not so good ones out there.

Many years ago a buddy of mine retrieved his rod using a rig like this. I would grind the barbs and tip off to be legal and as you know Silverwood has a lot of underwar structure to get hung up on. A strong paracord tied to it and a lot of patience and you may be able to retrieve it as you have a weigh point marked. Good luck.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/ORANG...8I9Q&gclsrc=ds

I lost one in HB harbor when I lived there, my favorite, got it back by bouncing a heavy tady with a large treble hook on it. You know roughly where it is, anyone else snags it is just luck. So it should still be there

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Many years ago a buddy of mine retrieved his rod using a rig like this. I would grind the barbs and tip off to be legal and as you know Silverwood has a lot of underwar structure to get hung up on. A strong paracord tied to it and a lot of patience and you may be able to retrieve it as you have a weigh point marked. Good luck.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/ORANG...8I9Q&gclsrc=ds
    DEVOREFLYER,

Thanks for the link...I just ordered one. I have the GPS Coords. on the location; but I am going to give it a try myself before I post them. It could be someone else hooks it and decides they need it worst than I do!

Thanks Again
    Don

Just went "fishing" for my sons rod at LNL lake Saturday and made the recovery. Try big trebble hook and 1 oz barrel swivel on braid. Did the trick after pulling up half the slime in the lake. but he only lost his ugly stick and just threw it off the railing. good luck

I have successfully used one of the chain stringers that have multiple snap hooks on them. Bend the snaps open some, tie it to a rope or heavy line and drag it. It gives you several shots at snagging the rod in one swoop.

HawgZWylde,

That's a great idea. I'll have to give it a try next time I am the Wood. I live in the I.E. so I fish DVL and Perris more than Silverwood, but that rod and reel is worth a trip up the hill. Thanks for the suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast