Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Need advices on anchor?

Default Need advices on anchor?

I have small 14' jon boat. The boat come with 15lbs river anchor type. I have set this anchor a few times which is proof to be very good to hold my boat in position. Now the problem is, if i sey anchor on hard surface like rock it would be easy enough to retrieve the anchor back, but most lakes have soft mud floor and once this 15# anchor sink, it pretty damn hard to pull. I want to be able to easily set and retrieve anchor to prevent drifting ( my boat is very light weight with flat bottom just a little bit of wind wave can move this boat away too fast and too much). Lately Im afraid to use this anchor since I go alone and I might not be able to pull the anchor back. Could anyone recommend me some not too expensive anchors that would fit my need?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	48597  

My suggestion is to get a lighter danforth style anchor, and add enough chain to it that you will stay hung. Ideally, 2 anchors are even better. Remember, the chain is what keeps the anchor holding.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
    I have small 14' jon boat. The boat come with 15lbs river anchor type. I have set this anchor a few times which is proof to be very good to hold my boat in position. Now the problem is, if i sey anchor on hard surface like rock it would be easy enough to retrieve the anchor back, but most lakes have soft mud floor and once this 15# anchor sink, it pretty damn hard to pull. I want to be able to easily set and retrieve anchor to prevent drifting ( my boat is very light weight with flat bottom just a little bit of wind wave can move this boat away too fast and too much). Lately Im afraid to use this anchor since I go alone and I might not be able to pull the anchor back. Could anyone recommend me some not too expensive anchors that would fit my need?
    I had some what of the same problem and searching around and posting a thread on here I came to find out that using a Danforth anchor was the best choice, not sure where you live but i have a 15lb Danforth Anchor for really really cheap $15 and $10 with military discount :-)

Here's a link to a discussion of anchoring. It's a combination of rode (rope) chain and the anchor. I personally like the Bruce anchor but we had a 30' boat with a windlass.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...ight=anchoring

If you are fishing quiet shallow lakes and only want to stop wind drift try the smaller "mushroom" style anchors. They have a short lip all around to grab into mud but can be pulled out of the mud fairly easily. I use them on my 13' flat bottom and they do fine on mud or weeds. I use one front and back to stop the swinging on anchor. Use plenty of rope. Let the bow on out the full length of your rope (50 or more feet) by backing up, drop the rear anchor and pull in on the bow to get an angle on each anchor rope tie them down snug. If the wind blows strong, bow always goes into the wind. When the wind gets so high these little anchors won't work I go in and eat lunch. I'm in this for fun not effort.

You might want to give this handy gadget a try. I bought one of these about 5 years ago and I haven't had a problem with "anchor drag" since.

http://www.drop-n-stay.com/