Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Really dark on the river - seen a boat really light up!

Default Really dark on the river - seen a boat really light up!

On my last trip to Yuma and then Blythe I was out on the river at night and was it dark, I was grateful that I had 2 Stanley hand held spot lights. Then I seen a boat that had a bow mounted light that made navigating a breeze in the dark. I went to Pep boys looking for something that I could mount to the bow of the boat to make navigating easier. The main problem with the hand held spot lights that are 1000 lumens is that I have only 2 hands, 1 for the steering wheel and the other for the throttle control, as you can probably imagine this made for a bear of a time having to toggle between holding the light to see where I was going and holding the wheel or keeping a hand on the throttle. I actually entertained the idea of adding a "hot foot" to address the throttle control issue, but I think that I would prefer a high powered spot light with a remote control. I have also looked all over the web, but cannot find what I need. I had bought the GoBee light from BPS for $189, that was a joke, and I promptly returned it. It was okay for getting the boat onto the trailer, but that was about all the good that it did. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for me?
    The only other concern that I have for the light setup is that it has to clear the trolling motor, as the trolling motor will be in the upright position while I am driving, and I don't want it to block off the needed light!

If you have a Minn Kota this is the answer. http://www.rigidindustries.com/mounting-options/40003

Don't you have the required running lights mounted on your boat for night running? Have you thought of one of the higher end head lamps? They sell them at up to 1000 lumens and would probably be as cheap as any other lighting system for temporary use.

Thank you all, and yes DF I no indeed have a minn kota, and yes Viejo, I do have the standard "Navigational lights, but all they are good for is alerting the others that I am out there, this does nothing to illuminating the way. I will look at these suggested light set ups. I had looked at West Marine, but since the bad experience with the last "Gobee" I am leery on all of their products.

Just got the go light, it is run by the cigarette lighter, and mounts either as a fixed mount or a suction mount, read a few reviews before I picked it up at west marine, the reviews were mixed and after buying and returning the "Gobee", I was hesitant to say the least, well I picked it up and plugged it into my truck, man was I impressed with the brightness of the light, now this is truly a spotlight! It outshined my 900 lumen flash light which is what I had to use to navigate on my last trips on the river. As for the mounting, I am thinking of buying a seat base and attaching it to that, so that way I can use it on either of my boats, it is also remote controlled up and down as well as side to side. With it mounted on a seat base I can have it in the bow of the boat while traveling with the trolling motor up, this way I will be able to clearthe front of the boat and see a good distance into the distance!
    Looking forward to trying it out in the next 2 weeks, then it is back to Yuma for another crack at the cat fish!