Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: A begging for some lake Shasta info thread

Default A begging for some lake Shasta info thread

Hi All,
    In two weeks I'll be up at lake Shasta and I have never been there before. Additionally I have never fished for spotted bass. Furthermore Shasta seems kinda... large.

Me an the family will be launching out of Jones Valley Resort on a houseboat upon the Pit River arm.

This is a plea for any guidance on where to fish, what they're biting on, and about how they're staging since the swap to warm weather is at a likely very different stage up there than where I live. I've gathered the reports online but think we could desperately use a bit more.

A few things about us:
    We catch and release all bass, and never use live bait, so we've got a 100% release survival rate going on for years.
    We're heavy leave no tracers.
    We live hundreds of miles away and will not be returning in the foreseeable future, so your favorite spots wouldn't suddenly have people at them daily if you were to PM me.
    Our skill levels vary from folks comfortable with all methods to mainly finesse plastics or carolina rig, but they all catch fish.

From what I've read they behave a bit like smallmouth rather than largemouth, and fight as well. Related to rocks and wood, and group up.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, and PMs welcome. I want to get them some fish so that, basically, I can continue to fish rather than them wanting to do other activities.

Hello,

I am generally in Redding about once a month, flyfishing the Lower Sac in my drift boat and fishing the Trinity and other waters in the area. I am not a bass fisherman, but if you are going up the 5, I would recommend stopping by the "Sportsman's Warehouse" off Hilltop Drive in Redding. They have an "information board" when you walk in. It lists the lakes and rivers and what the fish are biting on. You can also get a hold of the guys in the fishing department and they could probably give you some up to date information on the lake and bite as well.

Here is a link to "Fishing League Worldwide" that lists the top 10 baits for Lake Shasta.

http://www.flwfishing.com/news/2016-...ts-from-shasta

I know its not much, but it may be useful.

Advice for bass from the store turned out to be "Anywhere".

Got rained on part of the trip, but got plenty of bass off steep points as well as back in tree lines coves. Plastics, spinnerbaits, and skirted jigs did most in. Planned on hitting up topwater hard for practice but the weather rolled in and only got fish hard to cover after that.

-Coefficient

Thanks for the post! I am leaving my house in one hour headed that way! We will be sleeping in a room half way tonight and visiting San Fran tomorrow morning ( go niners ) but will be fishing Monday morning and up until thurs next week. I will be sure to post my luck if I have any