We made our annual trip north on 395, and this time with our first fifth wheel and sans boat in tow, decided to start our season at the south end of fisherman's paradise and will work north for the next holiday weekend. This brought us to Forks campground, our no-reservations last minute go-to spot, as there's always room and it's a great spot to head from in multi-directions. Not making it in until well after dark on Friday, we didn't get any lines wet until Sat. morning in the nearby South Fork Bishop Creek. Not many fish sighted, and only had a couple short strikes. The water was a little low, and the fish were wise once they saw my presentation once. Instead of dedicating the day to fishing, we all made way for town to watch the annual Mule Days parade. What a temperature change, 59* at camp (just under 8k ft), 91* in Bishop. It was cold and rainy in the afternoon back at camp. We had a very short outing at Intake II which brought us no luck, although many nice trout came in around us (at the dam), including one pushing 4 lbs. It was almost elbow to elbow fishing, kinda like a much prettier version of SARL on a weekend. We put our tail between our legs when the weather pushed in, and headed back to camp.
Sunday morning brought us up to Sabrina, and we hiked along the north shore about halfway to the inlet and picked an empty point to set up day camp from. The water level is coming up, but still probably 20' or more below full pool. The end of the launch ramp is still high and dry. The bites were immediate and steady between 10:30-noon. Multi-strikes on the good ol' trusty red/gold buyant, with a couple bait rods out getting whacked as well with orange/yellow mice tails smeared in garlic jelly doing the trick. One fish came in on the kids rod on chart. powergoo, and it was so small we didn't feel it until it was on shore. It was a very nice looking 6" wild brookie, but without the orange belly. Luckily just lip hooked on the #18 hook, so it got to see another day. Overall we spent about 3 hours there, enjoying the scenery, eagles fishing along with us, and having a nice picnic lunch. Along the way back, spoke to a few other anglers who weren't doing so hot, maybe a bite or two if lucky. Seems like the farther from the dock you get, the better the bite is. Lots of boats heading back to the inlets (as they should be). It made me really miss having my old 12' Sears for trolling. Maybe I'll get myself a yak or something I can strap to the 5th wheel...
Thanks for reading. Anybody hear anything about South Lake? Are they ever gonna get plants again?