Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: New AO; New Species

Default New AO; New Species

Been wanting a change of scenery from my usual surf fishing haunt over in Malibu, so I hit the old Google Earth this week to scout some new holes. Found one down south that looked really promising and hit it this morning. A beautiful cove with tons of structure and kelp beds, this place had monster checker written all over it.

Imagine my surprise when ten or so casts in I land this skinny guy:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	48500

First time I've ever pulled a barry outta the surf! I also always forget how scary the average person thinks this species is, and to think this guy was hanging out right under the waves with all those nasty chompers! Lol

Few casts later I get thumped again, and this feels more ornery and less spastic than the cuda felt, thinking its a calico. Sure enough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	48501

Solid, tough little guy. Hanging out in the crashing surf zone made him strong! I thought he'd be bigger before I saw him.

Things slowed down from there and I didn't land anymore. I'm sure there are monsters there, and I'll be heading back to hunt them as soon as I can!

Cheers FNN,
    Cam

Beautiful spot great conditions Looks like you have a winner there

New spot plus new species...............good on ya. My only problem with the berries is touching them

Congrat's on your NS and for locating your targeted species!!

That's the way to follow your instincts ... it really payed off for ya this time!!! WTG!!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's,

SP Dan <"))><

Smile

Nice surprise catch, great job... must be lots of bait in the water.
    I gave it a shot this past Sunday in the surf, no exciting catches, too many Red Crabs in the surf.
    Looking forward to your next report.

Yeah the red crabs were all over the sand that morning! I saw at least 7 or 8 of them washed ashore. I think the fatties must be getting fatter on the crabs, since it was just smallies that morning hitting the LC.