Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Catalina Island Yellowtail May 26, 2016

Default Catalina Island Yellowtail May 26, 2016

Captain Report - Went to Catalina Island wednesday night hoping for seabass. Crew members Eric and Binh. We could not find any live squid in San Pedro so we went to Catalina baitless, hoping to buy or catch our own squid. We were able to find the Chelsea Marie anchored in Avalon and he sold us a small scoop for $60. Off to the seabass grounds, we found the Ultra and a few other boats anchored on the spot. It's about 3am so Eric and I fished through the night and into the morning for one small barracuda and a 30-pound bat ray. It's 7am and we see nothing else caught so we bounced to a spot where we caught some yellowtail and halibut last week. Sleeping beauty finally wakes up and decides to throw a bait out. Bam - 15 pound halibut!

We fish for a few more hours but the yellows from last week seemed to have moved on and no more halibut bites so we go looking. I try a few areas and we pick up a couple yellowtail here and there, then about 2 pm we found a good school at Frog Rock that wanted to bite. We ended with 11 yellowtail, a couple barracuda and the halibut. The yellows weren't that big but they taste the same, actually a little better!

Deck Shot - Never forget the bananas!

Good crew members always get the re-invites!

Thanks so much for joining me Eric and Binh! Tony, sorry you couldn't make it - next time!

Good stuff right there...

You guys are killing me!!
    Nice job getting on the fish Jeff.
    Did you see Dons nice grade BFT, 50#-60# each.
    Hopefully I can get out this week to try my luck.
    Binh, why you sleep so much...
    Take Care Guys,
    Robert
    <><

Default A lot of break offs,What lb test were you useing, would like to know befor we go.

What lb test should we use.
    Last edited by Wormguy; 05-28-2016 at 06:50 AM. Reason: mis spelled

15-20 pound test was working fine. There was a lot of barracuda around too which usually bites through the line. Always be sure to check your line for nicks and frays after each fish!

Man, that looks like some good fun! I'm dying to get out there on some yellows this year! Gotta bulk up my arsenal though, as all I own is light tackle currently.

Good times on that boat are just about a given,wtg guys!

Cya Tuna Vic

Way to find the Tails Jeff, nice Hali, bummer on the ghosts, so elusive!

Thumbs up

Hey Jeff, sleeping a lot sure beats chumming a lot... LOL
    Glad the Yellow finally showed up and saved the day.
    We did pretty well on our private charter aboard the Native Sun last Saturday.
    Lots of Yellows and I got myself a big Black Sea Bass. Will put up a report when I have some time...
    Can't wait to fish on the Kolo again... soon my friend, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Hey Jeff, sleeping a lot sure beat chumming a lot... LOL
    Glad the Yellow finally showed up and saved the day.
    We did pretty well on our private charter aboard the Native Sun last Saturday.
    Lots of Yellows and I got myself a big Black Sea Bass. Will put up a report when I have some time...
    Can't wait to fish on the Kolo again... soon my friend, soon.
    That's awesome bro! Can't wait to see the report. We went out Monday and Eric got a massive sheepshead. He will post a report soon...