Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Novice Lake Report (5-25-16

Thanks for the comments and compliments everyone! Much appreciated, validates all my OCD note taking.

@HuskerRod, Thanks for the kind words, agreed it definitely is a tough body of water. If it wasn't for the fact that I had painfully studied navionics maps for fish-able structures, and seen the lake just a few weeks before I definitely would have been at a loss for where to start. ( The sheer scale of the lake is almost bewildering @>@ ) I had thought my finder wasn't picking up with all the algae and weed noise, but after we moved out a few times to the 30-50 range there were definitely fish out suspended from the points on staging structure, just too deep for me to target.

@DarkShadow Definitely, I believe the reason we finally got a catch was a combination of the terrain and lure coming together to cause a reaction strike as it climbed from the 11ft of water we had it diving in above the rocks up to the 7ft of water it was struck in directly off an underwater ledge on a point. Felt perfect action on the rod plus divers bill tapping rocks as it climbed over. Thanks for the suggestions I'll definitely be utilizing my data graphs next time so I can mark down readings that occurred during the strike and attempt to replicate.

@shinbob Thank you! Community posts have always given me the most insight. I just hope to carry on the tradition now that I'm capable of doing so. Thankfully DVL is located in the middle of 3 California weather stations, one to the NE, another S, and one more NW within like 30 miles of each other. So accurate readings are pretty easy to come by from NOAA or other weather monitoring services, best part being if you have an internet connection available on the lake you can see wind front updates several minutes before the actual effects of those gusts arrive, depending on whether the winds are coming from the SSW or have turned later in the day to NNE winds. Giving you ample time to find shelter or re-position for the incoming beating. In the future I'd like to get a barometer/anemometer combo device for accurate at the surface readings to more detail the above water conditions on a specific day. On the subject of water temp, definitely was a cold water day, had some pretty cold spurts of misty rain before 7am coupled with the highest air pressure of the week had probably pulled the cold deep water up into the cooling shore waters and not much sun to speak of to warm them up. I'd imagine this was one of the coldest water days in the recent few weeks and weeks to come.

I had totally forgot to mention the rod and line used, which is worth mentioning. We had started with 2 Medium heavy Bait Casters but eventually opted to use a much lighter rod and line in a Light action 6 foot rod with 8lb test braid on because of the action a heavier lure was giving on it as compared to our medium heavy rods. This definitely contributed to that strike as heavier rods were unable to keep anything we trolled in the water successfully.

Thank you again for the comments! Good luck and good fishing everyone~

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRod View Post
    Novice lake report? That's the most professional report ive seen in the DVL section in quite some time. Were you a writing major in college? You guys gave it a heckuva shot and that darn DVL is a "tough cookie" to crack. My experience out there is great days or poor days...not much in between. I noticed sunday when I was out there very few marks in the 1-25 foot range. I thought my finder was malfunctioning.
    HuskerRod, did we chat with you at the top of the ramp on Sunday? My buddy (tall bald guy who mentioned that we had talked with you there last year) and I (fat blonde guy) were in my rig in the pic below.

The waater coming into DVL is much colder then normal. Lots of snow run-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja1ab View Post
    HuskerRod, did we chat with you at the top of the ramp on Sunday? My buddy (tall bald guy who mentioned that we had talked with you there last year) and I (fat blonde guy) were in my rig in the pic below.

Oh yah, thats to funny. I guess me last time out there April 15th of 2015 I ran into you guys as well. WE must keep the same schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by JigStop View Post
    The waater coming into DVL is much colder then normal. Lots of snow run-off.
    East to west at DVL will see a change in temperature gradient as much as five degree with the warmer water in the eastern part of the impoundment. I found water 70-71 degrees near east damn and 67 degrees near the west dam. This might make a difference for some, but I "Stink at fishing" that lake regardless the water temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRod View Post
    Oh yah, thats to funny. I guess me last time out there April 15th of 2015 I ran into you guys as well. WE must keep the same schedules.
    Funny, I thought so. I'll have to introduce myself next time.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I think in order for someone to be successful trolling for largemouth at DVL, it requires them to be in full out reaction mode, so if they're hunkered down, especially in this newly flooded cover, it may prove a little harder.

Also, I find it when I'm bass fishing, I rely on a graph more for depth, structure and water temps, rather than relying on it to target individual fish. I can't even count the number of times where I've caught fish in areas where my buddies' graphs didn't show one mark.
    DS is absolutely correct. Your finder won't see 95% of the fish hiding near shore or in cover. Pick fishy spots an work them. Don't be afraid to hit and run until you find a pattern. Trolling will limit your presentation especially if your trying to work the newly flooded areas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12