Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Jalama jaunt 5/23

Default Jalama jaunt 5/23

Took a small group up to my perch nirvana this last Sunday. We arrived at the park at 4:30AM, and did our long walk in the moonlight to the zone. Conditions when we arrived were low tide, green water, clean in places, kelped out in others, and an incoming tide for our day.
    Our tournament consisted of trying to catch the 3 largest perch (measured in inches) photographed, and released. I was throwing the LC 110 FM in metallic Ayu.
    We all quickly spread out, and fished in earnest. The bite started out slow, but as the tide rose, the bite did materialize. Most of the group caught a few fish, but it was not wide open by any means. Around 11:00, the wind got with the program, and most had started walking back. Conditions were deterioriating quickly, with large chunks of kelp being pulled back into the surf. I persevered, and found a few nice fish around some boiler rocks. Arthur (Wingnut) and I pounded the boilers, and right after I mentioned that I had caught a striper here last year, he got bit on a small striper, which he was skipping over the surface, saw the stripes,yelled "its a striper!" hesitated for a second, and that was that lol. Another angler also had one on that released at his hand.

My buddy Dave also made a location vid which shows our conditions.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dnTMNQ...ature=youtu.be

Back at the camp ground, all of us compared notes. Largest 3 fish measured 43 inches, with 2 15's. I ended up with 42 inches, taking 2nd. I caught about 30 fish for my effort. And, as always, we all had a great lunch at the shop after Very Happy.

More added photos (courtesy of Wingnut).

that vid shows why we live
    here in California....

cm

I really do like that location.
    I'd still be up for camping on that beach. Any chance we can jump off the train?
    Excellent video Dave

WWO
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 05-24-2016 at 08:30 PM.

A little fishin' competition between friends is always a great recipe for good times.

It was good to hear that everyone was on the bite.

Thanx for the fish report,

SP Dan
    Last edited by SP Dan; 05-24-2016 at 09:32 PM.

Outstanding, fishing with friends.

Beautiful pictures and a well said report there Mickey!!!!!! Love the full body pic of you on the beach in your waders

Didn't know that Dave ever swings an LC - always thought he favored the grub

Red face

Mikey, it was great sharing the surf with you, Dave, Scott and the rest of the guys again.
    It was a nice hike in except for me sliding off the rock wall. LOL
    The little Striper that I lost woulda hurt a heck of a lot more if I didn't already caught my first one from the surf last year.
    Thanks for the invite and I'll see you guys at the Gathering of Eagles Event in a couple of weeks.
    I'll come up to fish with you guys more often when I'm officially retired...
    Beautiful video Dave...

Hey Mikey!!
    Good to see you and a few of the fellows getting out for some fun times.
    I was surprised at how many people were on the beach. Is it usually that way on a weekend?
    Hopefully one day I will be able to get out and join you Northern Guys.
    I know you were hoping that you would have to throw some irons for some bigger prizes, but that will come soon enough.

Dave,
    You are very Blessed to see what God has given all of us on any given second of every day, if you just open your eyes and your heart.

Brotha Arturo,
    Stripers are just a bye catch from the moment on that you caught your first one..

I look forward to seeing everyone in a couple of weekends.

Take care all,
    Robert
    <><

Glad you guys had some fishable conditions. You never know when planning the long journey up there. Wish I could have joined you all but family duties where in order. Missed seeing you Arthur, hope you had a great time !

Looks beautiful! It's amazing to me what species try to get greedy eating those LCs!