Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Windows 10 wants me.

Default Windows 10 wants me.

I have windows 7 on my desktop right now and its just fine with me. Windows tell me a free upgrade is waiting for me, guess I should go for it, they bug me every day about it. Anyone done that.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13012734_1714369015517608_7155348716291994420_n.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	48456

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    I have windows 7 on my desktop right now and its just fine with me. Windows tell me a free upgrade is waiting for me, guess I should go for it, they bug me every day about it. Anyone done that.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13012734_1714369015517608_7155348716291994420_n.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	48456
    Im a computer tech; IMHO it's worth the free upgrade, you have until July to decide, then the price goes up to $140.00. Windows 10 is a major improvement from 7, however you may lose some program functionality, I lost my madden 2007 for pc, which I just loved, otherwise it worked out just fine. Once they stop giving it away it's in for it's first major upgrade and it should be even better. You should also make sure you max out your machine as best you can, that means more memory at least, a dedicated graphics card would also be good to free up any additional ram that is shared with the motherboard. Also go and download the free program called Belarc advisor, it will give you a detailed system profile including any serial numbers for all programs on your machine. You can print up the report and keep it in a safe place just in case you have a system crash so you don't lose your operating system as well as other program serial numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Theos View Post
    Im a computer tech; IMHO it's worth the free upgrade, you have until July to decide, then the price goes up to $140.00. Windows 10 is a major improvement from 7, however you may lose some program functionality, I lost my madden 2007 for pc, which I just loved, otherwise it worked out just fine. Once they stop giving it away it's in for it's first major upgrade and it should be even better. You should also make sure you max out your machine as best you can, that means more memory at least, a dedicated graphics card would also be good to free up any additional ram that is shared with the motherboard. Also go and download the free program called Belarc advisor, it will give you a detailed system profile including any serial numbers for all programs on your machine. You can print up the report and keep it in a safe place just in case you have a system crash so you don't lose your operating system as well as other program serial numbers.
    i did the free upgrade and lost my on-basketball calculator... i mean on-board calculator...

Btw, I don't regerts it... when it's not free any longer and you need to upgrade, it's going to cost you. I also heard there are some better security measures in 10. Very slight issues but easily overcome if and when you do it...

Good luck with it, but you won't need it.
    Last edited by hookdfisherman; 05-23-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hookdfisherman View Post
    i did the free upgrade and lost my on-basketball calculator... i mean on-board calculator...

Btw, I don't regerts it... when it's not free any longer and you need to upgrade, it's going to cost you. I also heard there are some better security measures in 10. Very slight issues but easily overcome if and when you do it...

Good luck with it, but you won't need it.
    The calculator is still there, just do a search for it, the app will pop up, also if you have a keyboard with the calculator button you can push that. They are not going to give the option to stay with windows 7 much longer, which means that security updates will not be done by Microsoft, they provided xp updates for years after they discontinued it and many just would not upgrade, so they learned their lesson and will not provide support for windows 7 past next year or so, in fact their update server has been down for two weeks trying to get people to switch to 10. A computer without security updates is like having unprotected sex with a really dirty hooker if you get my drift.

The calculator is still there, just do a search for it, the app will pop up

A computer without security updates is like having unprotected sex with a really dirty hooker if you get my drift.

Ok, thanks.

yeah, I know a certain train puller/train troller who drifts from fisherman to fishermen. ..

Love formaldehyde in morning!

Thanks for the input, will schedule the surgery soon. Hope my PC doesn't wake up brain dead.

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    Thanks for the input, will schedule the surgery soon. Hope my PC doesn't wake up brain dead.
    The only issue I have with the upgrade is that my computer would not shut down after the upgrade. I went into the Settings area and turned off something that made it keep re-starting. If it happens, just google for a fix, it was pretty simple.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Harper View Post
    The only issue I have with the upgrade is that my computer would not shut down after the upgrade. I went into the Settings area and turned off something that made it keep re-starting. If it happens, just google for a fix, it was pretty simple.

John
    Restarting is part of the update process, in fact it tells you that it will restart many times during the process and to not interrupt or shut down the machine, if you are impatient it will just keep going back to the last update point and restart. You have to let it do it's thing.

Restarting is part of the update process, in fact it tells you that it will restart many times during the process and to not interrupt or shut down the machine, if you are impatient it will just keep going back to the last update point and restart. You have to let it do it's thing.
    No, I let it completely upgrade per instructions. It was after all was installed that it would not "shut down" when "shut down" was selected. A quick search of "the google" found the fix.

John
    Last edited by John Harper; 05-23-2016 at 01:03 PM.