Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Lost lake cajon pass.

The locals up at Crowley keep the sac perch out of there and throw back trout. Tastey clean white flakey tacos.
    I think it is still no limit for sac perch up at Crowley.

Slimy basstards to fillet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    The locals up at Crowley keep the sac perch out of there and throw back trout. Tastey clean white flakey tacos.
    I think it is still no limit for sac perch up at Crowley.
    I'm not a local, but I much prefer Sac Perch to trout. More fun to catch, too, but not much of a fighter. There was no limit at Crowley, but people were catching trash cans full of them, so now there's a limit of 25 fish.

Sac perch are also a great idea to maintain a fishery for, as they are virtually extinct in their native range, due to being out-competed by bass and other introduced panfish, as kwin mentioned. Here is a unique case where the bucket biologists have actually (inadvertently) done a species a great service, and protected them from extinction by introducing them into Crowley, Bridgeport, Pyramid (NV), and other places that they are not native to.
    Last edited by shinbob; 09-14-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Got to watch out for stunted fish though like some crappie fisheries. Gull lake in the Sierra's comes to mind when I think about stunted Sac. perch, little itty bitty fish.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Got to watch out for stunted fish though like some crappie fisheries. Gull lake in the Sierra's comes to mind when I think about stunted Sac. perch, little itty bitty fish.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Gull has the perch, but they're tiny and not really worth cleaning. However, Gull also freezes up for a good portion of the winter. Maybe a warmer winter/longer summer would help with the growth?

We're really arguing what good our dfg will do with this place?We do realize what state we are in, right?I thought Kwin jumped in to troll us all.Let's not think this too far tho. He already has a few stripers biting his alabama rig. In fact, if the DFG has allowed him to be a spokesman of theirs, Id LOVE to hear what his side project would've been for this place.Kwin, the floor is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    We're really arguing what good our dfg will do with this place?We do realize what state we are in, right?I thought Kwin jumped in to troll us all.Let's not think this too far tho. He already has a few stripers biting his alabama rig. In fact, if the DFG has allowed him to be a spokesman of theirs, Id LOVE to hear what his side project would've been for this place.Kwin, the floor is yours.
    Seriously? You really have to call him out on this?

Kwin provides a great, unique insight that no one else on this board can give. We have an insider in our midst, but instead of being grateful, he gets nothing but grief instead.

I get that we are all frustrated with the DFW, but Kwin is not their head policy maker, nor is he their spokesman (I presume). He is a biologist that also appears to be an avid fisherman (and not just with a cattle prod). Google his name and you'll see that he has done more to improve the So Cal freshwater fishery than all of the rest of us combined.

Just close your eyes, take a deep breath, and dream of a Sacto Perch fishery in the local area. That would be second only to my dream of a walleye fishery in Big Bear Lake.

Jus' 4 da as's hose...

Sacramento perch

The Sacramento perch is an endangered sunfish native to the Sacramento–San Joaquin River Delta, Pajaro, and Salinas River areas in California, but widely introduced throughout the western United States.

Last edited by hookdfisherman; 09-15-2016 at 01:15 PM.

I bet this lake went dry from the helicopters sucking the water out of there to stop the fire. I hope it stays dry so no more (sucking) goes on in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKY View Post
    I bet this lake went dry from the helicopters sucking the water out of there to stop the fire. I hope it stays dry so no more (sucking) goes on in that area.
    It was used as a dip source for the first hour by a few helos but was surround by fire and smoke and was unusable after that. They would have quit using it when they started seeing shallow water so as to not ingest sand anyway. In this case, a fire storm of heat pretty much evaporated what little water was left. That whole canyon is nuked.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast