Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opening Day at GVL

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Sorry ........

It was what it was. We were able to help three of them and summoned authorities. Bad things happen to good people all the time. They made a choice when they launched the boat not to wear preservers and that day, it turned out to be the wrong choice.

Glad the GVL incident didn't end badly. The other incident is very sad. All because people were too lazy/confident and don't realize things can go from great to tragic in an instant when your on the water. For example, wife's uncle drowned while ice fishing.

Spent 5 years doing Search & Rescue with the SBSO decades ago. Never ever had a water rescue call that didn't end up being a recovery. Nothing worse than doing a recovery of a child because a PFD wasn't used. Accident, stupidity, poor planning, no supervision or ignorance is not a viable excuse when someone dies and it could have been prevented.

Bad things happen to good people all the time.

My wife and I have a book about that subject. I've preached on it. FWIW

They made a choice when they launched the boat not to wear preservers and that day, it turned out to be the wrong choice.[/QUOTE]

How many times (100+?) have we been out without a preserver ... just got one for my wife ... and why not me? I'm guessing it's the weight of wet clothes ... plus your shoes that are the killers. Could the lost man have grabbed onto the boat? Maybe he was physically challenged? Jus wunderin. God allows things to happen ... He doesn't always make them happen ... we must face our responsibility.

THANKS for sharing ... and your efforts to help are awesome!

My curiosity can't restrain itself anymore. "Viejo" ... doesn't that mean old ... or something like that? Care to share?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12