Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day at GVL

Default Opening Day at GVL

My friend and I arrived at the lake around 6 am. Set up by the damn and immediately hooked up on a lure. It set the table for the rest of the day. Proceeded to land 8 more and headed down the hill by 11. The biggest fish put up a great fight and weighed around 3 lbs. Caught another around 2lbs and the rest where were about a pound. Turned out to be a beautiful day with a little breeze. Biggest event of the day is when a boater fell out of his boat in the middle of the lake. The guy was fighting to stay a float and other boaters where not in the area. Two guys rowed as fast as they could to get to him but you could see it was going to take a while. Some heroic dude from shore dove in and swam out to save him. That guy was amazing, swimming in all his clothes to rescue the boater. Finally the other boaters arrived and towed them to shore. It was surreal, thought that we were going to witness a drowning before our very eyes. Props to the guy who saved that guy's life.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GVL 5.20.16.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	48449

Quote Originally Posted by Limit Time View Post
    My friend and I arrived at the lake around 6 am. Set up by the damn and immediately hooked up on a lure. It set the table for the rest of the day. Proceeded to land 8 more and headed down the hill by 11. The biggest fish put up a great fight and weighed around 3 lbs. Caught another around 2lbs and the rest where were about a pound. Turned out to be a beautiful day with a little breeze. Biggest event of the day is when a boater fell out of his boat in the middle of the lake. The guy was fighting to stay a float and other boaters where not in the area. Two guys rowed as fast as they could to get to him but you could see it was going to take a while. Some heroic dude from shore dove in and swam out to save him. That guy was amazing, swimming in all his clothes to rescue the boater. Finally the other boaters arrived and towed them to shore. It was surreal, thought that we were going to witness a drowning before our very eyes. Props to the guy who saved that guy's life.

Never understood why people go out on a boat, can't swim and don't wear a life vest.

Glad he made it out of the water, i almost fell in a couple of times..
    Wish i could of made it out that day but i had work and i need the hours
    what kind of lure did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Number1topgun View Post
    Never understood why people go out on a boat, can't swim and don't wear a life vest.
    most people probably don't think of falling over board and drowning on a small lake like green valley

Quote Originally Posted by esteban1t View Post
    Glad he made it out of the water, i almost fell in a couple of times..
    Wish i could of made it out that day but i had work and i need the hours
    what kind of lure did you use?
    Red & Gold Thomas Buoyant and panther martins. Have to keep changing the look. Also, caught a few on the drop shot with plastic worms - so retrieve.

Some heroic dude from shore dove in and swam out to save him. That guy was amazing, swimming in all his clothes to rescue the boater. Finally the other boaters arrived and towed them to shore. It was surreal, thought that we were going to witness a drowning before our very eyes. Props to the guy who saved that guy's life.

That could have easily been 2 drownings, it's a seriously stupid idea to try and water rescue someone drowning without a flotation device. Glad no one was hurt and it worked out in the end.

If the water had been five degrees colder, you probably would have. I am amazed that the concessionaire doesn't mandate life preservers. By the way, when you witness a drowning....it is very quiet. They just slip under the surface and disappear. Glad your experience wasn't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    If the water had been five degrees colder, you probably would have. I am amazed that the concessionaire doesn't mandate life preservers. By the way, when you witness a drowning....it is very quiet. They just slip under the surface and disappear. Glad your experience wasn't like that.
    Sounds like you know from experience ... UNFORTUNATELY ???

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Sounds like you know from experience ... UNFORTUNATELY ???
    Yes. Involved years ago in a rescue with four people in a small aluminum boat on a lake in Utah in early spring. I was shore fishing and watched them tip over when one tried to pull the anchor up. Water was around 50. Three of them made it to shore and we waded out up to our chest to help pull them in. The 66 year old Grandfather slipped below the water and was recovered the next day by divers. It amazes me to this day how many folks don't see the need to life preservers.

Sorry ........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast