Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Best off shore low pro reel and rod

Default Best off shore low pro reel and rod

Gonna get a reel thinking revo toro or lexa what is the best

I have a revo toro 61 nacl and I've caught multiple yellowfin and yt on it. I have mine spooled with #50 power pro and use only a short topshot. Haven't been spooled yet. Went about a little more than halfway a couple times with tunas up to #25 lb. If you get into a bigger grade of fish, best of luck to you. Lol... If you plan on using #65 spectra, you will not have that much line capacity. I bought the reel for inshore fishing, but have used it plenty of times offshore. It's a blast to fish with. Easy to cast without birdnesting too... I have used it on my crucial swimbait rod, and also on my 809h phenix black diamond, but it feels best on my G loomis 7' pro blue rod.
    Last edited by jaggerbub; 05-17-2016 at 07:28 PM.

I'm thinking I might have to pick one of those up

For smaller grade fish you have lots of options, but if you hook something big line capacity can be the difference between losing a great fish, your lure/line, or having an awesome fish story about the time you landed a beast on bass gear. Not sure what the specs are on the sizes your looking at but I recommend going for maximum line cap. Also don't put 50# braid if your never going to fish 40# or more topshot. My vote would be the lexia 400 and a little more stick than you think you need just in case. I have an Orra inshore but I wish I would have gotten something bigger, I really only bought it for the kelp beds or the harbor but I could have bought one reel that could do both and now that money I "saved" is going to go toward a bigger more capable reel.

Shimano tranx

I haven't used the revo but I have a Lexa 300. I've heard great things about the revo and I'm sure that you will be satisfied either way

To each his own, but I'm comfortable with #50 so I can do a lot more with this reel. Live bait, to throwing the iron, to throwing swimbait into kelp paddies (kelp cutter), or throwing an expensive $100 trout lure in freshwater in search of that dd striper! Personally, I wouldn't go less than 50# spectra for these reasons. The reel has the capacity so why not. We're not spooling up a 100 or 200 size reel here where we don't have the line capacity to use the bigger braid. Spectra wears down after a season or two and I'd rather have 50# now to fish with 20-30 topshot later on when the spectra is weaker.
    Last edited by jaggerbub; 05-18-2016 at 10:16 PM.

And fill it with power pro slick. It casts a mile so smooth!