Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fishing in the wind a waste of time

Default Fishing in the wind a waste of time

I was planning on fishing Saturday, I saw the weather report, winds on Sat . My last trip was at Lake Henshaw, crappie fishing. The rain put a damper on that trip. I had a 3 hour drive planned for Sat, not gonna do it due to the winds forecasted. I've done well trout catfishing and Striper fishing in the rain. Nothing kills the fishing like the wind. Have any of u guys had any luck with the wind? Might hit the salt at Catalina instead.

Wind sucks! Period! I have though. In the salt if it's 10kts or less I catch. In the fresh I haven't seen it add any real advantage other than extra casting distance if it's in my favor.

Striper fishing with the wind blowing about 15 - 20 mph at San Luis Reservoir was great for the dd's.

What Ifishtoolittle said!

Cya Tuna Vic

Yeah wind blows!!! but ive had some real good days in the bay during wind.....so wind or not im good with it...good luck!

Tony G Fishing

I was fishing silverwood lake last spring and had only caught 2 fish all day, wind started howling 15-20kts into my face on the sandy point just below the campground. I had to switch to a spinning rod just to cast any distance but I landed 5 bass in 30min. I don't think wind kills the bite but rather changes it, sometimes for the better sometimes not. If you do fish in "bad" conditions don't fish the same places and techniques you would in "good" conditions. IMO it's more of a comfort issue for the angler, not the fish.

Wind is neither your friend nor your enemy. Too much wind makes fly casting next to impossible and bait and lure casting into the wind challenging. A light to mild wind is your friend as it breaks up the surface of clear water making the fish less spooky. It also drives bait fish into wind facing coves and shore lines and your prey well seek them out. Keeping a boat positioned on a spot on wind blown water is something you must master if you’re going to be successful. My most challenging fishing adventures have been on bodies of water that have a combination of wind, current and tidal influence. They have also been the most rewarding. More often fish are influenced by the lunar cycle and barometric pressure than wind or the lack thereof.

I love when the wind blows.

When main lake points get muddy, the spinnerblade gets chucked. Nothing like drifting quickly and runnin' and gunnin' and getting fish to go.

When rivers get muddy, you concentrate on the few spots that aren't.

I love the wind. Your approach becomes harder, but catching fish seems to become easier.