Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Skinner Skunked 5/15

Default Skinner Skunked 5/15

So I just upgraded both my fishfinders and trolling motor with a built in transducer. A major jump forward, as I went with the newer color touchscreen HDS units, Structure scan... The whole enchilada. I was all fired up to see these puppies in action, so I went out to Lake Skinner a couple times this past month to try them out. I had never fished Skinner from a boat before.
    So I launched at about 7:30-8:00 both times. The whole first day, I wasn't marking any fish. The second time, I didn't mark any fish for the first 4 hours. I started to wonder if my electronics were defective or not installed properly. And then, I made a big move to the other side of the lake. And Whamo - I started marking fish like normal. Except I couldn't get any of them to bite in the last hour. Bummer...
    I guess with DVL opening this week, no one wanted to be on Skinner 4 days before the re-opening. So there were only a handful of boats out there. A few guys I talked to at the ramp said the fish were locked up too. The fish all seemed to be huddled on one side of the lake.

Yup, it's been a really strange year so far. The last couple weeks have been especially tough on stripers. Even ol' Striper Al has been getting skunked. That is a rare thing. Just use your "free" time now to dial in those new sonar units. They'll be handy soon enough..... I hope.