Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for another place to fish for Catfish!

Skeeters? What is this? Jet skis? I would like to get one or more of those Flatheads, I have read that they will only eat live bluegill or redear. I think that I should be able to get some of the pan fish with 4 lb test and a bobber with night crawlers, I can then set these out with my larger level wind rod. I would assume that a 6oz egg sinker set up as a Carolina rig style, with 20 - 40 lb test. The other thought is would I be effective if I set one rod up for the flathead live bait and the 2nd rod with 15 pound test and chicken liver for the channel cats? Or do they not hunt in the same area? My desire id to get into some back water where the current is slow, drop anchor and peacefully fish through out the night. What do you suppose my chances would be? Years ago I would fish till 2 AM on the shores of pay lakes for the cats - (farm raised then planted channel cats). Now that I have a boat I no longer have any interest in fishing the shores. That in addition to the fact that I no longer have the privilege of drinking alcohol, shore fishing can become boring on the shore. On a boat it seems to be different. The So Cal lakes do not allow boats on the water after dusk, so that is why I am willing to make the 5 + hour drive to the river. At least I can stay out as long as I want, then come in to sleep during the down period!

Skeeters? that would be bugs that bite and draw blood take some bug spray.

Thanks. So have you fished this area before? I just called the landing there and the lady said that they had 2 tournaments in the last couple of weeks and the anglers had all done pretty good. I am thinking of getting out there on the Memorial day weekend and I am not sure how busy it will be. The wife is going to get mad soon with all my trips, so I'm gonna try and get this last one in before she gets really mad. I just hope that I can get a productive trip in this time...

Daug,
    If you live around Riverside there is an asian market on La Sierra that always has fresh Mackerel and Bonito for bait. It is called Super Seafood Market, whenever I go catfishing I always buy my bait there, the prices are good and it's fresh.

When I go after catfish I like to either flyline a big chunk on Bonito or Mackerel using a 5/0 or 6/0 circle hook, or I like the Carolina rig. I like to either keep my bail open or my drag really loose so a fish can pick up the bait and take off, then I either shut my bail and set the hook, or if my drag is really loose, I just squeeze the line between my hand and the rod and set the hook.

Excellent, I will look the store up now, there was a market here in San Bernardino, "Thung Hing" but they have since closed down. I will try this place in Riverside if I can find it. I have 2 shaman reels that are called "Baitrunners" and if you click it into bait runner mode, the bail is closed, but the line comes off similar to a level wind reel with the clicker on and the reel in free spool. I fish with both, but with the bait runner fly lined with mackerel or bonito, I can fish 2 rods in the day time, the level wind reels at night with the clicker on, works like an alarm, even if you happen to dose off it will wake you up to set the hook before you get spooled. I generally stay away from circle hooks, because I like setting the hook, additionally I could not seem to hook the sardines and keep them alive to cast when fishing circle hooks for tuna. The idea makes a lot of since for fishing cat fish as it is a bait and wait game, where as I will not have the rod in hand all the time.
    Any experience with Yuma fishing? The Martinez, or Ferguson lakes?

I've never fished any of those, but I've alway wanted to fish the river for big cats, I just don't get a lot of time to be able to go on multi day fishing trips. I love cat fishing at night but I don't enjoy having my vehicle broken into, and it seems like at all the local lakes with good cat fishing, that's what happens if you leave your vehicle unattended for any period of time.

Well I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it has never happened to me. I've been fishing the river system for about ten years now . I've been parked overnight in some crazy places and I've never had a thing stolen. That's why I go there so much , no drama, no stress. If you want the safest spot to launch for a overnight fishing trip? Hidden Shores, pay to launch but they have security and a gate.

I think he was referring to Silverwood, for night fishing on the Cats, not the river. I was doing a lot of fishing at silverwood and Parris , but I can't fish at night on my boat at the local lakes, or actually at any of the So Cal lakes, that is the reason that I have been enduring the long drive to the river, there I get to fish all night if I want to. In all actuality I have only been able to force myself to stay on the river all night one time, the cold has had me returning to camp up till then. I tried to navigate the river at night once in Blythe, and if I did not have a "Stanley" spot light, I would have been in real trouble... Hard to tell where the coves are at and if you stop, then the current takes you down the river and you are up against the elements, before you know it you could be beached on a sand bar, or stuck on a shore, or even flipped over. That is why I am always looking to fish the back waters...
    Where is "Hidden Shores"?

I was referring to Silverwood and Perris, when we use to fish Bersconi Beach they made you park at the gate that was at the top of the hill and walk in. We had our vehicle broke into a couple times and always saw glass from other people getting their cars broke into.
    If I'm not mistaken you can fish on Big Bear all night long, I was just talking to a guy up there that does a lot of catfishing at night there.

I guess that Big Bear would be another option, I did not think about Cat Fish there but now that I think about it they do have a reputation of huge cat fish there at the dam. I think that the cold weather has always made me stay away from there, but this summer I suppose that the cold will not be a factor that I will have to deal with. I am hoping to get out to "Fishers Landing" in Yuma, and fish the Martinez and or the Ferguson lakes this coming holiday weekend. Devore Flyer suggested that I try that area, so I'm making plans to check out that part of the river this time. I have yet to have a really successful river trip. I have been trying since January? I've taken several trips up the river to the Havasu, area including willow beach, and then down south as far as Blythe. Blythe has so far provided me with the most action, but even still I've only managed to get 1 small Flathead, weighing in at a pound, maybe... I was able to keep it alive and release it in my pond with my Koi, and red ear sliding turtles.
    Went to turners today and bought some circle hooks and anchovies, I plan to get some chicken liver and shrimp prior to leaving Friday. I would think that they will have plenty of bait for sale at the landing once I get there.
    Just like deep sea fishing I know that eventually I will have paid enough dues and finally starting catching the fish!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast