Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for another place to fish for Catfish!

Default Looking for another place to fish for Catfish!

Well, Lake Havasu was a bust for me, I fished all over the Lake, and even up river for a couple of miles, I was not able to get any bites on the cats. I was able to hook and release a couple of LMB, 1 was a nice 5 pounder, also hooked a striper, it was also a 5... Ounce that is... Caught a rather large Redear, but over all the fishing was really slow for me, the wind came up and I also got quite sick from the heat and lack of nutrition. Not going to be able to get back on the water for a couple of weeks, but if there is anyone out there who wants to fish on my boat with me, and has a favorite fishin hole for the Cat Fish, send me a PM. I am open to suggestions. I bought a new "Baitrunner400" reel, and tomorrow I'm going to go to BPS to try to match up the reel to a new spinning rod. I put on 50 poung braid line and I'm thinking of fishing it with 15 to 20 pound line, bait and wait style. A friend suggested using circle hooks for the bait and wait, Many years ago I used to fish off the shore for cat fish, but now that I have 2 boats, the shore fishing is over.

This is not the first time I have suggested Fishers Landing out of Yuma, Az.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3OU...ature=youtu.be

Okay DF, you have been right with everything you have helped me with so far! Do you think that you might be up for a free fishing trip to "Fishers Landing"? If you recall I went to your place and you helped me with my fish finder.
    I know that you already have a really nice boat, but if you don't want the hassle of towing, cleaning the boat, and having someone to chat with, I would sure like to check the place out with you. I am going to attempt to look up the place on the web right now, What can you tell me about what I can expect there? I am thinking of giving it a try in 2 weeks.

Check out all the tabs on the site. http://www.fisherslandingresort.com/Pages/default.aspx

Dry camping $5 a night. Motels in Yuma. Long stretch of river to fish and several backwater areas also. Do look on Google earth for a general overview of the area and watch the you tube video I posted.

Alright, I looked it up, and I am now planning my next trip, which will begin at Fisher's Landing Yuma! Going to ask my cousins if they want to join me this time!
    I think that it would be extra cool if I could get both of my boats up there at the same time and give it a go!
    Naturally, I will leave a post on the trip, still have not learned how to post photos!
    Plans are to get out of town here on the afternoon of the 25th and then make the return trip on the 29th. Found a hotel near by for under $250 for the 3 nights, well actually I expect to utilize the room in the day time while the heat of the day is burning me up and the fish are in their slumber mood!

If you tie up anywhere in the ca channel you'll get on some channels and flatheads. The entrance is on the left as you pass Martinez, don't forget the bug spray.

Okay, so I am a little slow... Are you saying that I should anchor up on the river or in the lake proper? I would like very much to hook some cats, any kind as I really don't know the difference and don't really care. DF suggested using shrimp, chicken livers, and red ear (live) for the flat heads. I just bought a new st. crux spinning rod 12 -30 #. I have bait runner reels for the spinning rods, and several bait caster rods and reels. I also have a couple of level wind rod / reel set ups for the night time fishing, (fishing in free spool with the clicker on as an alarm. I will be bringing a couple of light drop shot rods for the crappie as well as possibly the occasional bass, but that will not be my target fish species. My last trip I brought many heavy rods and only 1 light rod, which I regretted once I started fishing, I had this delusion that I would be getting into a lot of large cat fish at night. I even brought and put out 3 "Chum Tubes" with mackerel and Bonita in them hoping to attract some cats, but all that I really accomplished was to get everyone within 200 feet of my boat sick from the stench.
    Bug spray you say??? Does this mean that the mosquitos will be out in force? I was thinking this time to smash up a few pounds of chicken liver freeze them in a ziplock bag, freeze them and then transfer them to the chum tubes, and hang all 3 over the side of the boat. Do you all think this will help?
    At Havasu I did manage to stay up all Tuesday night into Wednesday morning trying for those elusive cats, but they were too smart for me.
    Should I fish it "Carolina style", or attach a torpedo sinker on a dropper loop and then the hook on the end of the line? I have been successful in the past using both styles, but that was always fishing "Stocked" Cat fish, not the wild ones, and never anything but channel cats in the pay lakes.
    Sure do appreciate all the advise and assistance everyone has provided. I have yet to decide weather to go mid week and return on a Sunday, or leave on a Friday and return mid week...
    Hope to hear more advise and tips.
    Thanks again DF for the suggestion of Fishers Landing in Yuma!

Carolina rigged and give them some slack after casting. If they pickup and feel tension, they will drop the bait. You don't really need heavy rods Durdy. I shore fish and use my dropshot rods all the time on the Colorado River. Heaviest rod I'll take is my 8'6 steelhead rod if I want to get my cast out far. I don't fish the current, so I only use 1/2 or 1 oz egg sinker at most. 12# leader on a 2/0 hook using shrimp peeled with head on, or mackrel... Don't over think on the cats. Keep it simple and you will catch em'. If I only took one bait with me, it would be fresh caught mackrel from the pier a few days before heading out to the river. Catch it, fillet and chunk out 2 in squares, zip lock bag it, freeze it and take it with you when you go. The store bought stuff is junk .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-23 10.17.16.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	48415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65~2.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	48416  
    Last edited by jaggerbub; 05-17-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Nice pic's where were these caught? As I indicated I plan on fishing Martinez lake as well as Ferguson lake on my next trip, I tried to fish the river proper, but I realized that I needed at least 28 oz's of lead to keep the bait in place. I have seen blogs that indicated to fish on the edge of the current, but that is easier said then done, I would prefer to fish in the back waters or the coves, but seeing as the fish have so many choices of where to hunt I am not sure that these places will prove to be successful. For this trip I am contemplating taking my tent, air conditioner and generator and try to tolerate the heat of the day napping while the fishing is slow and then get back out for the evening / night bite. Any suggestions there? As far as the fresh Mackerel - that would require an additional day of fishing off the pier and only if the mackerel are running. In the past I used to go to a Vietnamese market and but fairly fresh mackerel, but as of late they seem to not have any.
    Therefore I will plan on following Devore Flyer's advise and fish with fresh head on shrimp, which I am confident that I will be able to easily obtain!
    My biggest fear now is whether my wife will tolerate me taking another trip so soon!

Flathead rod 4-6 Oz egg weight is fine. 40# mono minimum. 20lb to 40lbers are not uncommon at all. Channel cat set up , depends were you fish , flyline chicken liver or fresh cut off a sandbar 4-15lb test. Off a boat 17-25lb test because of current and structure. Stay off the main river and look for backwaters there are a ton south of fishers. If no wind then yes the skeeters will be out in force.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast