Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Surprised at this lake

Default Surprised at this lake

Let me first say that am no pro or expert at fishing, actually quite the opposite. Im 34 years old and ive lived near lake Perris, withing 5 miles for 20+ years. I use to go as a kid, teenager, and now back again as an adult. I go fish for fun on and off and in now way a die hard angler. I have never caught a single fish at Perris. I used to fish from the old piers at the dam, when water was normal levels and from the rocky shores around boat launch area, but no fish. So i always had it in my mind that lake Perris sucks, lol. Ive even gone on a boat recently, within a year with no luck. But yesterday the stars must have been aligned or something, because a few friends and i went out to the lake. Ill be honest i was not expecting to catch anything. One friend caught a large mouth and bluegill, his brother caught a large mouth, and i caught a large mouth. Crazy thing is we all caught it on plastic worms. Never have i caught anything on anything but a nightcrawler, let alone a fake bait. Lol my mind was blown on both levels.

Again i want to say im not a diehard angler, i dont follow the phases of the moon or anything. I know i prob fish all my cranks and spinners all wrong, lol. Anyway just thought id share incase there were people that felt the same way about the lake.

Perris is a awesome fishery I wouldn't eat anything from there due to the fact of two strokes allowed but one hell of a lake to float tube once bernesconi is back I'll be out there again in force

jkgts1,

Congratulations on you first bass at Perris. There is a leaning curve when you start fishing plastic worms. There are numerous ways to fish with them: Drop Shot, Texas Rigged, Carolina Rigged, Wacky Rigged, Shaky Head Rig, Ned Rigged just to name the ones with which I am familiar. They all are fished differently and some don't work at times are are really hot at some other times. Probably the most constant rig that works most all of the time is the drop shot rig, (D/S Rig). This should be fished with light line, say 6 lb, preferable with Fluorocarbon line, and is a pretty easy way to fish. When I take kids out fishing I always put them on a D/S rig to start. I have taken many kids who caught their first fish ever and they can not believe how big bass are compared to trout. Check out the internet on how to rig a drop shot rig and you results should increase drastically.

Last Sunday I fished a small bass club tournament at Lake Silverwood and I would venture to guess that 90% of the bass caught where using a drop shot rig. Try a Robo worm Margarita Mutilator III worm at Perris. That worms seems to produce on a pretty consistent basis at Perris.

Tight Lines, and by the way Perris is an awesome fishery!

BassinPLS
    Last edited by BassinPLS; 05-17-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    jkgts1,

Congratulations on you first bass at Perris. There is a leaning curve when you start fishing plastic worms. There are numerous ways to fish with them: Drop Shot, Texas Rigged, Carolina Rigged, Wacky Rigged, Shaky Head Rig, Ned Rigged just to name the ones with which I am familiar. They all are fished differently and some don't work at times are are really hot at some other times. Probably the most constant rig that works most all of the time is the drop shot rig, (D/S Rig). This should be fished with light line, say 6 lb, preferable with Fluorocarbon line, and is a pretty easy way to fish. When I take kids out fishing I always put them on a D/S rig to start. I have taken many kids who caught their first fish ever and they can not believe how big bass are compared to trout. Check out the internet on how to rig a drop shot rig and you results should increase drastically.

Last Sunday I fished a small bass club tournament at Lake Silverwood and I would venture to guess that 90% of the bass caught where using a drop shot rig. Try a Robo worm Margarita Mutilator III worm at Perris. That worms seems to produce on a pretty consistent basis at Perris.

Tight Lines, and by the way Perris is an awesome fishery!

BassinPLS

Thanks for the advice on worm rigs. Any advice about when to fish, seasons, morning, dusk? Are the bass there still active for a while?

The first thing in the morning is the best bite, as soon as the lake opens. The bite seems to taper off after 10:00 or 11:00 am and then picks up a little after 3:00 or 4:00 pm.

Right place right time! Wtg.

Cya Tuna Vic

Sometimes, "ignorance is bliss".

Quote Originally Posted by JigStop View Post
    Sometimes, "ignorance is bliss".
    JigStop,

You are right about that! I caught more fish when I fish started bass fishing and didn't know a dang thing than I do now. I can't figure out why it seems so tuff for me now. 1 or 2 fish days and then skunk....what ever happened to the 40 -50 fish days? I keep feeling there are out there...someday!
    Last edited by BassinPLS; 05-28-2016 at 06:36 AM.