Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Rpt-may 13 2016 daveys locker.

Default Rpt-may 13 2016 daveys locker.

We went on an overnight trip out of daveys locker on the thunderbird. I love them guys. Great captain and helpful workers. Really good sense of humors. Oh, and their double cheeseburger tastes better than in-n-out cheese burgers too. Anyways, we got to catalina island around 1:30am. Didn't anchor up because we were looking for squid and no luck finding any. Didn't anchor up at night. But I hit the sheets around 11:30pm and woke up here and there and decided to just stay up and stand outside by myself because I was awaken one too may times by a few drunk guys singing the "snoring" song all night (or morning). We made a few stops before 2pm and started fishing as soon as daylight hit. A few guys caught yellowtails here and there before our last stop and if I remember correctly the boat only had like 20 yellows before the last stop. Every stop we did catch a few yellows, calicos, bonitas, barracuda, sheephead, all ranging from too small to keeper sizes. The captain decided to take a risk and went back to a spot that we fished in the morning. That gave us a few good yellows. We drifted for only a minute, if that, and one hook up, two hook up, three hook up, and you know the story.
    We anchored up and caught the other total of yellowtails that made the count of 194 yellows total. In that last stop, one guy caught a huge halibut. There were calicos in that mix, lots of bonitas too. We didn't get back to the dock til around 8pm. To be honest, the two guys were really good at filleting the fishes, but they did not get done filleting the fishes till we made it to the harbor.
    I didn't get a head count, but I know the tickets were sold out that night. So I'm assuming 28-30 of us. i will admit that me and including a lot of people missed a lot of bites. I mean ALOT!!!!! Only a few break offs. The yellowtails were in the size ranges where I bounced them in on my 15 pound black water line. But then again, all mine caught were not even the bigger fishes. I'd say biggest yellow were over ten, but majority were under ten. But it doesn't matter because it was CRAZY!!
    We used sardines, anchovy, and live squid. Most of the yellows were caught on squid, but they ate everything.
    My son and I came home with 9 yellowtails, one sheephead, three Calicos, and ten bonitas. And the rest are around Catalina because we couldn't hook up!
    These guys are great. There was a time when it was hot and the deck men's asked if anyone caught a fish and I remember a person raised his hand. I don't think he did either because he stayed away from the crowd throwing a dropper loop fishing bottom while everyone was getting bit closer to top. The deck man grabbed his Rod, put on a bait, threw it out on the water, few seconds later, "fresh one!" That guy was happy! Everyone was happy except for that one old man who only caught one at the end. Oh wait, it was that old man who didn't catch any.
    This old man said he was gonna have a freshwater fishing derby for kids when he gets back home. This way kids will learn how to follow their lines and know how to fish and when he said it to his friend I was standing right next to them. I stopped and thought about it and told myself that I was the only person who brought a kid on this boat, my son was the only kid on this trip. But I but my tongue and said "oh well, my son caught more fishes than that old man, my son grabbed his own bait, squeezed into the crowd, threw it by himself, hooked up on his own, and reeled them in all on his own." What more can you ask from a 13 year old who has been "fishing" since he was 6?! Haha. Anyhow, please enjoy the video that my son "the kid" made on his own. Tight lines everyone!

https://youtu.be/hDUlK7fpbdM

Check out his other videos too and please comment. This will show you he ain't no regular "kid" that need to learn how to fish trout and blue gill.
    Oh, and if anyone reading this that knows Matt from last chance, tell him I said thanks for the t shirts and spooling up my reel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	48399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	48400  
    Last edited by Jhondayang; 05-14-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Your boy did good Jhondayang. Never mind that old guy. Some of those guys on the rail wasn't listening to him when he was asking to go over and under. Not a bad trip for an overnighter.

Very nice,looks like you're boy had a blast!
    Also helped me remember why I bought my own skiff,many years ago!

Cya Tuna Vic

Great report with some quality time well spent...don't worry about that bum, it appears your son was getting along with the people on the boat. He handled the rail and fish perfectly! I love the two handed pump lol. You should be one proud papa! Kudos Jhondayang!