Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Shore advice

Default Shore advice

1st time poster here. Hitting Castaic tomorrow with my son, nephew and Uncle. Planned on taking my boat but apparently 2 years of sitting equals more than one day of maintenance and it won't be ready. So we are gonna take the kids shore fishing instead. Been along time since I shore fished here. Any advice to try and put the kids on some fish? Anything specific we should be throwin? Upper or lower? Thanks in advance!

Hit up the point right side of marina and keep working east. Drop shot 4'' -6'' plastics in Arron's magic or craw colors .
    Also try reaction baits aka Rapalas or square bill cranks.
    Good luck and let us all know your results.

Thanks Tp. Started out on the point at the west ramp. Saw several trout being chased into shore and a few fish break water in the cove but nothing bit. Then moved on to the lower to let the kids do some worm fishing. Nothing there either. Moved onto the point at the east ramp marina and nothing there either. Saw several people fishing the point but did not see any fish caught. So for the day with three 11 year olds all we caught were several trees and weeds. I'll take that anyday rather than watch them sit around on there Ipads all day!

Quote Originally Posted by P2Dog88bucks&bass View Post
    Thanks Tp. Started out on the point at the west ramp. Saw several trout being chased into shore and a few fish break water in the cove but nothing bit. Then moved on to the lower to let the kids do some worm fishing. Nothing there either. Moved onto the point at the east ramp marina and nothing there either. Saw several people fishing the point but did not see any fish caught. So for the day with three 11 year olds all we caught were several trees and weeds. I'll take that anyday rather than watch them sit around on there Ipads all day!
    I'm thinking the water was too cold for the panfish to be up and active, because as of a couple of years ago, you could find a few schools of bluegill wandering around in the shallows at the lower. (The upper had some HUGE bluegills, but that was in the mid 90s, and had is the key word now.)

I think your best bet would have been to chuck a nightcrawler out in the upper with a small split shot and hope for the best.

How was the water level?