Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/13 catfish opener

Default 5/13 catfish opener

got set up for the night session at 5:15 towards the nets at chris's pond ..
    didnt get bit until around 8 right when the sun went down....
    got all 3 of my fish within a 30-45 minute time frame,
    1 - fly lined mac
    2- marshmellow and shrimp
    had a 4th on the line but it came off due to bad hook set
    fish seemed to like the marshmellow and shrimp better , used a 6 inch leader
    didnt get any pics because i didnt want to pick up my phone with my stinky hands haha
    my first time in a while having any luck at sarl

any recipes yall recommend ?

Nicely done on the kittens! Best way I have found to cook them is roll the fillets in Louisiana Fish Fry (at the butcher counter most groceries) and fry until done. Be sure to skin them, too.

Nice good job on the kitties!
    i was there for the morning session on my tube. and lost a decent 15lber on 2lb test. all i can say is that i gave the cat a run for his money haha

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T-rex View Post
    Nice good job on the kitties!
    i was there for the morning session on my tube. and lost a decent 15lber on 2lb test. all i can say is that i gave the cat a run for his money haha
    not an 8 pounder? :)

Quote Originally Posted by E.A.R.G. View Post
    not an 8 pounder? :)
    Haha bro i have it on camera haha!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhihjukNxic

Quote Originally Posted by esteban1t View Post
    got set up for the night session at 5:15 towards the nets at chris's pond ..
    didnt get bit until around 8 right when the sun went down....
    got all 3 of my fish within a 30-45 minute time frame,
    1 - fly lined mac
    2- marshmellow and shrimp
    had a 4th on the line but it came off due to bad hook set
    fish seemed to like the marshmellow and shrimp better , used a 6 inch leader
    didnt get any pics because i didnt want to pick up my phone with my stinky hands haha
    my first time in a while having any luck at sarl

any recipes yall recommend ?
    Glad you caught some. I was there fishing the main lake from 5 pm to 11 pm. Moved twice and got no bites, not even a nibble.

Carolina rigs with mackerel and shrimp.

Quote Originally Posted by hotramen View Post
    Glad you caught some. I was there fishing the main lake from 5 pm to 11 pm. Moved twice and got no bites, not even a nibble.

Carolina rigs with mackerel and shrimp.
    were you using marshmallows to float them ? i only got 1 on the flylined mac... the rest were on the shrimp and marshmallow on a c-rig with 6 inch leader
    i always feel like i have a better chance at chris's pond since its smaller and easier to fish most of the lake
    dont know if it makes a difference but i use fresh shrimp with the head still on and fresh mac bought at ranch 99, i never use frozen mac or shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by esteban1t View Post
    were you using marshmallows to float them ? i only got 1 on the flylined mac... the rest were on the shrimp and marshmallow on a c-rig with 6 inch leader
    i always feel like i have a better chance at chris's pond since its smaller and easier to fish most of the lake
    dont know if it makes a difference but i use fresh shrimp with the head still on and fresh mac bought at ranch 99, i never use frozen mac or shrimp
    I always use pike mackerel and peeled shrimp. Usually soaked in bite on catfish attractant. That combo has worked for me all the time at Irvine. This was my second visit to SARL and nothing caught so far. The marshmallow combo is new to me, but I am seeing it being mentioned by others on here.

I have not tried Chris' Pond yet. I am assuming that is the smaller one next to the big lake. I was going to wait a few weeks until the water got warmer, but I am intrigued to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by hotramen View Post
    I always use pike mackerel and peeled shrimp. Usually soaked in bite on catfish attractant. That combo has worked for me all the time at Irvine. This was my second visit to SARL and nothing caught so far. The marshmallow combo is new to me, but I am seeing it being mentioned by others on here.

I have not tried Chris' Pond yet. I am assuming that is the smaller one next to the big lake. I was going to wait a few weeks until the water got warmer, but I am intrigued to try again.
    Trust me it seems all the techniques that worked at Irvine DO NOT work at SARL, I use to kill it at Irvine with shrimp dipped in Bite-on or Bang Garlic but that definitely does not work in as good in SARL not sure why and of course there are a bunch of theories out there that Irvine catfish preferred Bite-On because that is what they were fed at the hatchery and what not because Irvine was a sponsor of Bite-On blah blah blah, :-). to me all it takes is time to zero in the lake and know what SARL catfish like so far from all that I have read and seen at the lake, the marshmallow Combo as well as fly lining are the best methods to attack those cats and the best location is on a float tube (I would think a boat might give the same results) The last 2 times i have gone and got skunked I have seen only the tubers catching any catfish so its time to dust off my tube (that i have never used) and hit that water, just got back from Army training in Germany so if anyone wants to go out there and show me the ropes of tubing for catfish let me know.

The one catfish I've ever caught here was off of a piece of string cheese but that fish hit it almost as soon as it hit the water. I've tried everything else and never got a nibble, however I've only tried Chris pond for catfish never the main lake and never in a boat or float tube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast