Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats the deal with crawdads ? Why do people hate on useing them?

#1- unwarranted sense of self-importance- Many anglers using lures think they're some sort of elite club just because they fooled a primitive vertebrate into biting a piece of plastic.

#2- jealousy. No sense in denying it.. when you spend hundreds of dollars collecting expensive lures only catch a bass not even weighing a pound, and a fat guy on a chair playing with himself catches a monster 9 lb bass on a piece of mackerel while cat fishing, it's only natural that you'd feel jealous.

#3- ignorance/racism/stupidity

This is one of the reasons i haven't been fishing much.. I myself am guilty of most of these acts, but since i hit the magical age of 27,my brain changed, and I matured to the point of seeing most fishermen in general as lousy people overall. Sorry.. but you guys whine about obama and mexicans and/or asians too much. I'm sick of it. I see plenty of white guys poaching and using illegal methods, and the 'purists' are some of the most racist hateful human beings i've ever met.. Now, mind you, I'm not afraid to make racist jokes, or other politically incorrect statements, but these people really do believe outlandish ideas that asians are amassing to supply 99 ranch market with largemouth bass.

I don't like obama either but YEESh. find another flipping topic, will ya?

People hate on using crawdads because most of the time the bass ends up getting hooked deep in the gills or gut which kills the fish. With artificials, you have a better chance of hooking them in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    People hate on using crawdads because most of the time the bass ends up getting hooked deep in the gills or gut which kills the fish. With artificials, you have a better chance of hooking them in the mouth.
    On the rare occasions I fish with live shad, I use Owner light circle hooks. They work great, perfect corner/lip hooksets, never once had a gut-hooked fish. Just gotta remember not to quickly set the hook, though. Caught a 10.2-pounder (LMB) at Pyramid that way last fall, but it kinda felt like cheating. Especially as my largest ever LMB on artificials so far is barely 4 lbs.

The only time I use live bait is when I go to the salt. The last time I used live shad/crawdad was when I was a child in the 80's. I have nothing against it but from what I remember it was just too easy.

Finally a common sense answer. To generalize that most fisherman are white racists is plain ignorant. Yes, there have been some inappropriate posts on here, but does that make us all racists? I am fairly new to bass fishing, and my main objective is to catch fish. I haven't earned the right to question what others do. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with all fisherman's tactics, but who am I to judge. The original post asked a simple question. There really isn't a need to go off on tangents.

Add the fact that some of these bigger females are susceptible to being caught with craws during 'that' time of year, you have another reason fishing live 'dads is frowned upon.

While you have the right to keep your catch within limits, you may not make too many friends walking up the launch ramp with 5 DDs on a stringer. You have the right to keep them, I repeat. But others have the right to express their sentiments as well, and hopefully it is done in an educative and civil manner.

Quote Originally Posted by MillsapBoyz View Post
    Finally a common sense answer. To generalize that most fisherman are white racists is plain ignorant. Yes, there have been some inappropriate posts on here, but does that make us all racists? I am fairly new to bass fishing, and my main objective is to catch fish. I haven't earned the right to question what others do. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with all fisherman's tactics, but who am I to judge. The original post asked a simple question. There really isn't a need to go off on tangents.
    Hi MillsapBoyz,

I don't mean to run off on a tangent, but you know what REALLY burns my butt is the editor of Western Outdoor News. Every week he writes in his column like a super hardcore right wing nut job. So he believes the readers of the best fishing and hunting newspaper in the Southern California area is read by a bunch of right wing nut jobs racists. (Pick it up any week and see for yourself.) Maybe Smokedog is on to something!!!! I'm sure you and I aren't racist but somebody is giving off that impression about fishermen!!!

Sorry for the thread jack, please continue on about the evils of fishing with live crawdads. lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 05-12-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Hi MillsapBoyz,

I don't mean to run off on a tangent, but you know what REALLY burns my butt is the editor of Western Outdoor News. Every week he writes in his column like a super hardcore right wing nut job. So he believes the readers of the best fishing and hunting newspaper in the Southern California area is read by a bunch of right wing nut jobs racists. (Pick it up any week and see for yourself.) Maybe Smokedog is on to something!!!! I'm sure you and I aren't racist but somebody is giving off that impression about fishermen!!!

Sorry for the thread jack, please continue on about the evils of fishing with live crawdads. lol
    Most of the time he is letting us know about how the liberals are trying to take away our hunting, fishing, shooting and other outdoor activities and what we can do to stop them. Does that make him a right wing racist?

[QUOTE=parkermann2;779303]Most of the time he is letting us know about how the liberals are trying to take away our hunting, fishing, shooting and other outdoor activities and what we can do to stop them. Does that make him a right wing racist?[/QU

I love it when you said, "and what can we do to stop them????" He and all the other right wing writers aren't even smart even to connect the dots. Read this weeks column he wrote, it's all about the ballot initiative written by the Lieutenant governor on ammunition restrictions. Here is what I mean by not being smart enough to connect the dots. If you're an Ocean fishermen, what's the greatest tragedy that's happened to us in the last 5 years???? If you guessed the MLPA closures you win a cupid doll!!!! Here he goes complaining this week how the people on the left got enough signatures by hook or crook to put this ammo restrictions thing on the ballot. If it's passed there is nothing anybody can do about it. What if the sportsmen do the same thing except this time to GET RID OF ALL THE MLPA'S!!!! (there is nothing anybody can do about if it passed by the people) Why isn't he beating that DRUM every week in his paper!!!!! He isn't because he is either too dumb to do it or like many other Conservative people they lack what it takes to show true leadership!!!!! It's just too easy to be a whinny little ***** and accomplish very little!!!!!

When it comes to being a right wing racist, if you sound like Donald Trump or Russ Limbaugh. You're a racist!!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 05-13-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12