Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonna do my very first Tournament!

Dam, that is a grip of bait! Looks like I won't stand a chance of winning anything! Actually I don't even know what the prizes are! I sure am excited about this trip though, planning on fishing the entire week, just for the shear joy of fishing... Hope to land at least 1 double digit fish, either a cat or a striper!
    Was those pictures of your catch last year?

Yes those Pics where day 1 of last years tournament.

Having never done anything like this I am at a total loss as to what to expect, can you help me with a few questions? #1 what are the prizes. #2 where exactly do we start, and do we need to do a pre tournament meeting? #3 How far from the start place can we go? Do you think that lures and plugs will be worth taking or is cut bait the better choice? I am so excited to fish this tournament, I was scheduled to fish mammoth for trout at the spring opener, but things got a little difficult with that trip, and the fact that I do not even like trout fishing, I had decided to fish the river this coming week, I did not even know that there was a striper tournament going on this weekend, so I was very surprised when I was told about it. I don't plan on winning anything, with the exception of some much needed rest and relaxation doing the one thing that I am still passionate about... FISHING! Now that I have committed to this tournament I can see that I am really ill prepared, I feel like I am going into a major battle with only a cap gun! Well at least I will get to experience the fun of fishing and get to look at all the heavy hitters and their equipment!

This is a super fun tournament! I have only missed it three times since 1989! I am looking forward to fishing it with my 15 year old daughter this year. Prizes are usually awarded to the top 15 teams starting with a plaque and something simple like a fishing pole for 15th place on up to a sweet fishing trip to Alaska plus rods, reels, sunglasses and all sort sweet stuff for the champs. The grand prize is a boat and motor package that is worth over $20,000 and it is raffled off...don't even have to catch a fish to win it! There is also a bunch of nice gear that is raffled off. For a little extra cash you can get in the 'blind bogey' contest and this year the 'high rollers' event. There is a pre tourney meeting and bbq from 4-7 pm Friday afternoon at Anderson Toyota, 6510 Showplace ave, Lake Havasu city. You can start anywhere you like (It is not a shotgun start like the Bass pros). however, you can not be on the water before 4am and no lines in the water before 5am. The boundaries are Parker dam north to the I-40 bridge up river. Lots of guys fish lures or topwater first thing in the morning and then switch to bait and wait when the heat and boat traffic pick up. If you see an old guy fishing with a pretty young 15 year old girl be sure to say hi. If you or your team mate don't already have it, I'm sure they will give your the complete rules and stuff when you pick up tour goodie bag at the Friday check-in meeting. Have fun, be safe, catch fish, post up and God bless, Mark
    Last edited by ichthus; 05-12-2016 at 07:57 AM.

here is a pic from a couple years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by ichthus View Post
    here is a pic from a couple years ago!

Nice catch she looked like she had a blast.
    I have been going out there to fish bill Williams area for a few years now. But this year and last year was the only times on a boat. I normally go for catfish. Last year we catch a decent amount of stripers but it was around the October November time when the shad was around. And when the boat traffic wasn't too heavy. I would like to fish with you in the future or at least be fishing next to you and get some pointers in the future when I do head up that area with my family. This year my family and I stayed at havasu springs and had a blast out there. Weather was very nice in April.

Well, as things often turn out in life, I bought all that bait and gear, went down there on Tuesday and spent the night on the lake. I was fishing for striper and cat fish, but only ended up hooking up on 2 LMB, stayed on fishing Wednesday and ventured up the river after spending many of hours in the Bill Williams area attempting to get a cat or 2 to join my team, but no doing. I did not even meter any fish. When I did go up River I found myself in 12 inches of water at various places, lucky I did not get beached!
    I did get a case of heat exhaustion though and had to go down for the count for a pretty good period of time. The wind had come up and I took that for an additional bad sign, as I can not seem to catch any fish when the wind is blowing. On Saturday morning I did get out on the lake, and I fished all day with no results! I really did not realize how much I absolutely hated the boat traffic and the crowds!
    It may sound really crazy but I actually had a much better trip down in the Blythe area, I was able to hook more fish in 1 day there than 5 days at Havasu...
    The heat is comparable in both places, and the river depth was variable as well in both parts of the river. Thinking of either returning to Blythe or else looking for another place to cast a line. I know that the heat is just going to get hotter, so I am looking for a place where the Cat Fish are more plentiful, and where the camping is on the water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12