Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonna do my very first Tournament!

Default Gonna do my very first Tournament!

Going to Havasu and fish in my very first striper tournament! The Tournament sponsored by WON is next weekend, May 14, & 15 @ Havasu.
    My plan is to pre fish the whole area, or as much of it as I can in 3 days, Going to Parker Az. on Tuesday, starting at Bill Williams Arm, hoping to spend most of the day there and then possibly sleep on the boat at anchor. Leave my bait out there with my clicker on as my alarm. I tried to buy Sardines today with no luck, I was able however to buy 15 pounds of Anchovies from Turners, and I am hopeful that there are bait shops close to the river that I can get Sardines from. I'm also going to take 8 dozen night crawlers. Hope that will get me through the entire 5 day trip! Going to try taking pictures of this trip to post on this site.
    I have not heard how deep the water is down there, if it is deep enough I will be able to utilize my down rigger, or even troll lead core.

Durdy, I talked t o a friend that just fished site 6 in Havasu. It's next to London Bridge. Says he did pretty good on the cats and striped bass. Lots of boats in the area but the fish cooperated in the early eve. I wouldn't worry too much about the sardines. Anchovies work just fine. 15 lbs and 8 dozens of crawlers??? You planning on opening up a bait shop? Lol. Good luck out there buddy. Sounds like you are ready.

Forgot to mention that he also said guys were slaying the stripers on N. Mesquite near London Bridge as well. He said they made it look really easy this past weekend on anchovies. I haven't fished that area so I couldn't tell you much about it, but that just the Intel I was given. Hope it helps a bit?

Awesome. I've always wanted to fish in a tournament, good luck!

Well, no, no bait shop, but I did buy 15 pounds of anchovy, and just this morning I bought an additional 20 pounds of anchovies, and the last 2 pounds of sardines that they had. Additionally I bought 9 boxes of 30 count night crawlers. I plan on fishing as much as I possibly can Tuesday about 12:00 till I simply can't stay awake on the river throughout the night as long as it does not get too cold or windy, and then back at it Wednesday and Thursday, Saturday and Sunday I will be in the tournament. I don't know where site 6 at London Bridge is, but I have heard and seen good postings about Bill Williams Arm out or Parker, so I think that that is where I will begin, being that I am starting on a weekday, the pressure should be a lot less.
    If you have any more suggestions I will be happy to try them. My boat has a 30 gallon tank, so if I can travel up river from parker to London bridge I will most surely give it a try!

Thanks for the info... And just to think that I was bummed when I could find no Sardines! I was able to get lots and lots of anchovies though! I will also try throwing the AC plugs as well as the Deps.

I wouldn't worry about running out of bait up there. There is a big Walmart in Parker and just about every gas station/convenient store sells bait.

Don't forget some spoons and top water spooks in case you see birds fling and diving and then you will yell out "BOIL"! If you see shad, try to get shad.

Here is what we are going up with.
    200lbs of chovies (chum)
    100lbs of Sardines (Hook Bait)
    5- 30lb Shark Chum buckets.

Here are a few pics from last year..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	48370   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	239 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	48371   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	234 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	48372   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	217 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	48373  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast