Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memories Formed and Lessons Learned at NPH

Default Memories Formed and Lessons Learned at NPH

I always know I'll have a great day fishing when I debate going after hearing the 4 am alarm. This was one of those mornings for sure as I was up until midnight after throwing a party the night before.

Well, as I'll go on to describe, today was one of the most memorable fishing days I've ever had.

My roommate was going to be breaking in his first ever rod and reel (he's been borrowing for a few months since he started coming out with me). Now I had two reasons to know it would be solid: my near bail out in favor of sleep and a new rig (they always seem to be hot on their first dips!).

Woke up with the roomy and headed down to Newport Harbor before the sun rose. We arrived and got some solid pieces of bait (all chovies but good size and health), and headed to the AO. Within a minute of my first soak I was bendo on this little fighter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	48341

A solid little Sandy to start the day. Then Ian got his first hookup, a little checker. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	306 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	48342

Tiny guy, but a beautiful specimen, and a special one as it will go down in his memory as the first fish he ever caught on his own gear. From there it opened up pretty well on the spotties and checkers, including Ian's first legal (a barely over 14 calico) and culminating in his first ever flatty. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	289 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	48343Click image for larger version. 

Views:	265 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	48344Click image for larger version. 

Views:	233 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	48345Click image for larger version. 

Views:	243 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	48346Click image for larger version. 

Views:	267 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	48347Click image for larger version. 

Views:	244 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	48348Click image for larger version. 

Views:	225 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	48349Click image for larger version. 

Views:	236 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	48350Click image for larger version. 

Views:	243 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	48351

The excitement in his face and eyes, and how shaky he was trying to perfect the kung fu tail grip on his first ever hally made the entire day completely worth the sandy eyes and foggy mind of little sleep. Memories he's sure to never forget! Also, I know after today he's got the bug now. Finally, my solid fishing buddy!

Now on to lessons learned.

A few minutes after that pancake (18 inches or so) we drift past another pavilion skiff to hear hoots and hollers. I ask 'em what they've got and they hold up a short hally.

"Right on!" I shouted back.

It was then that the fish started to turn on the line, exposing his underbelly... It was covered in blood. It was then I noticed one of their party cleaning a knife. They dropped the youngling into their live well and proceeded to high five each other and continue the jubilation...

My blood boiled! Not knowing these guys and thinking better of a fight at sea, I bit my tongue in the moment, but immediately fired up the engine and drove the boat somewhere I could inform an empowered party. The person I told (who will remain unnamed or described for his privacy) didn't seem to give a ****!

My blood boiled more. Ian started to get upset too after I gave him a proper explanation of why size limits exist, and it started putting a real damper on our great morning.

We saddled back up and headed back to another AO, determined not to let this crime ruin our day. You can't control the actions of others, let alone allow them to impact your mindset and emotions. We did what was in our power. Our side of the street was clean.

Then some amazing things happened. My rod went bendo on the hardest strike I'd had all morning. A fair fight later and I boated this beauty, 19 inches, gave it a kiss and set it free. Sending him back to grow, eat and make more halibut for my future children to catch one day felt great after everything we'd just seen. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	298 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	48352

It got better. Five minutes after landing him, I feel a good thump on my line, but then it went quiet. Slow reel, feel some weight, BAM! I'm on again and this one feels GOOD! She goes on a couple respectable runs, and feels heavy between them.

"Grab the tape measurer, Ian! I think we got one here!"

The fish came to color, and it was a nice size halibut, but not quite as if as she felt on the line. Still, I was confident she was legal. We got her to the boat... 21.5 inches! At first I didn't believe it. I must've slipped the fish forward on the deck between looking from head to tail.

"Measure twice, cut once, Cam," I think to myself.

21.5 again. The SWAT guys immediately came to mind. Their wisdom and desire to do right by the sea and her creatures.

I think ordinarily I'd have been pretty upset, but this time I felt nothing but joy. This fish put up a fight 6 inches bigger than she was, and I got to set her free. I got to make the **** I saw earlier right for the harbor.

Poseidon put my righteous indignation to the test.

"Oh you're mad they kept a shorty? Let's see what you do with one that seems like you might be able to sneak by. It's only a half inch after all."

I had Ian shoot the release. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_6v5iRt5tqQ

We went down to the famous Island Grill for a well deserved lunch. Two big old burgers later, we headed back to Burbank, our bellies and our souls brimming over.

Thanks for everything, FNN.
    Last edited by camdozer; 05-01-2016 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Adding video, also typos.

Hi Camdozer:

First off, what a well written and exciting report you put up. I sure enjoyed reading it and could feel your emotions at the various highlight (and low light LOL) moments Congratulations to you on a great session on the bay and to Ian for breaking in his gear so thoroughly. Yes it is more than upsetting to see people "robbing" all of us who pay for our annual license and hope to enjoy catching fish especially a "not so often" legal halibut. But Camdozer you and Ian showed responsibility and honor. You were rewarded with a great day and I know there will be many more like that in your future - you both deserve it.

Thank you for sharing your cool NPH session with us all,

Nick

Right on,sounds like you guys had a great day minus the poacher,keep up the good work,it always feels great to do the "right"thing!
    Admiditly it's easier to do the right thing in certain situations,but the right decision always brings satisfaction,doing the wrong thing,not so much,wtg!
    Do you think those guys are on some fishing site sharing their experience about a great day of fishing and about gutting and keeping a short Hali? I think not,but you were able to share your positive day and with that encourage others to get out there and do it "right"!

Cya Tuna Vic

Great story and report. I tip my hat to you in exercising restraint - it's always a good idea but even more so on the water. Nice vid of the release too!

No reason to get your "blood boiling"
    Sometimes people don't know the size limit.
    A call to DFG and a hefty fine is a good way teach someone too.

If your concerned about catch and release you may want to take a different approach to how you handle them.
    It is possible that you guys may have given some fish a slow death.

People love pics for themselves and others or social media but often times fish can be unhooked without touching them.
    Fingers in the gills, protective fish slime removed, folded tails and splits can all cause a slow death.

Here is some info on this sticky.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...ibut-Perch-ect

Thanks for the report.

Hey Dockrat,

Thanks for the advice. As far as I can tell we handled the fish as safely as we knew how. The tail grip on the 'buts is actually something I was taught here specifically for the safety of the animals. In the pictures you can see I am trying to provide it with mid-body support as well. If I'm doing it wrong, please let me know! You can even hear Ian concerned about the harbor seal that was nearby in the release video, so our intent is there. I have no problem humanely ending a legal sized fish's life if it means dinner for my family, but I want to make sure the shorties I catch have the best chance I can give them!

And the only bass we didn't lip grip (as far as I know the safest way to handle them) was that first one Ian caught (reason being there was actually somebody else's hook in his mouth already. If you look closely at the picture you'll see it; there wasn't much of a safe place for him to insert his thumb). I also never gill them unless I know they're a keeper that I plan to take home (another lesson I learned here shortly after I first joined).

As far as the blood boiling, I agree that I probably let it affect me a bit more than I needed to. I've just been getting really into the environmentalism of what us fishermen do, trying to do right by not only the animals but also the future generations of fishermen to continue enjoying the sport.

Also I was raised by hippies, so I still get a bit righteously indignant over any animal or plant life being deliberately mistreated. :D

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Outstanding reminder, DR!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by camdozer View Post
    Hey Dockrat,

Thanks for the advice. As far as I can tell we handled the fish as safely as we knew how. The tail grip on the 'buts is actually something I was taught here specifically for the safety of the animals. In the pictures you can see I am trying to provide it with mid-body support as well. If I'm doing it wrong, please let me know! You can even hear Ian concerned about the harbor seal that was nearby in the release video, so our intent is there. I have no problem humanely ending a legal sized fish's life if it means dinner for my family, but I want to make sure the shorties I catch have the best chance I can give them!

And the only bass we didn't lip grip (as far as I know the safest way to handle them) was that first one Ian caught (reason being there was actually somebody else's hook in his mouth already. If you look closely at the picture you'll see it; there wasn't much of a safe place for him to insert his thumb). I also never gill them unless I know they're a keeper that I plan to take home (another lesson I learned here shortly after I first joined).

As far as the blood boiling, I agree that I probably let it affect me a bit more than I needed to. I've just been getting really into the environmentalism of what us fishermen do, trying to do right by not only the animals but also the future generations of fishermen to continue enjoying the sport.

Also I was raised by hippies, so I still get a bit righteously indignant over any animal or plant life being deliberately mistreated. :D

Hey camdozer:

I (and I'm sure all of us who practice CPR) appreciate your heart and your desire to carefully handle the fishes you catch. Keep it up - you present a good example to all of us
    Last edited by anchor3n1; 05-05-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Good read and good times for sure. Me and the nephew rent a skiff there about 4 times a summer, mucho fun. One lesson I learned from a SWAT member is "always release your PB" Verne
    Last edited by vdisney; 05-13-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Very nice session and an amazing fish count!! WTG!!

Thanx for the fish report!

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks for the report! What a great day, congrats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast