Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night fishing Silverwood/Chemise 5/1

Default Night fishing Silverwood/Chemise 4/30

Nothing exciting, but i will post anyway's to contribute to the site.
    Got to my Catfish spot about 6:45 pm.On the hike down to the water,was surprised to see the water was the lowest i have ever seen it.But i have only fished at night here about 7 times within 3 years.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	48339(Every time i had been there the water was always up to that little ledge)

It was windy when i got there but still managed to catch my only catfish around 7:30 on sardines.
    When it got dark the wind disappeared. I got 4 really good bites on mackerel but nothing hooked up.Ended up leaving at 12:00 am.
    Right when i was coming onto the main trail on the way to the car , my heart skipped a beat when a BIG pure white rabbit went hopping by fast!I immediately stopped because the last time a rabbit went by me like that, soon came two coyotes running after it, when me and my girlfriend were hiking by my house.
    Sorry for the blurry picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	48340
    Last edited by dA KittY PuniSheR; 05-01-2016 at 06:53 PM.

I have to ask after driving by those Silverwood parking lots along Hwy 138 covered in glass from broken windows....aren't you a bit leary of getting jumped or having your car broken into at night?

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    I have to ask after driving by those Silverwood parking lots along Hwy 138 covered in glass from broken windows....aren't you a bit leary of getting jumped or having your car broken into at night?
    Yes, all that broken glass is hard to ignore.I won't drive my newer Camry out there anymore. Last night i took my junk car that we only put around 2000 miles on in the last three years.I'm more scared of the rattlesnakes than the people, especially when hiking back to the car.There is a shortcut off the main trail that is narrow and bushy.
    I know it probably ain't smart to go out there alone, BUT MAN!! that first night i went out there the bells on my poles where going off NON-STOP all night!!That keep's me wanting to keep going out there but only a few times a year.I found a good spot which has done me really good too.

There ARE NOT a lot of opportunities around here to enjoy night fishing into the am hours?I love catching catfish, i can catch them in the day but it's so much more fun at night.
    One place i will not go night fishing again is Fairmount Park in Riverside, now that's pretty crazy!!
    I did that last year one night and the weirdo's come out all hours of the night & morning walking around and on bikes.
    Last edited by dA KittY PuniSheR; 05-01-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Many of us that fished at night for many years are hesitant to do so these days. Not because of wildlife or even people but because it's become so common to have vehicles broken into. There is an element that has come up to live in the high desert that has brought their way of life with them, yes cars being broke into has been around up here for a long time but the gamble is getting to great to ignore now. Damn shame!

Before going out there this weekend, i had already been making plan's thanks to troutsniffer's reports lol.
    I asked my daughter "if she could drop me off and pick me up from there"? She lives in Phelan but i couldn't wait and rolled the dice anyways.

Thanks for the report!! I plan on going out there maybe Tuesday or Wednesday evening/night, I am absolutely worried about getting my car broken into but hey! it's all about the experience right. haha. I'll probably go by my self too, I was thinking about trying the dam area, if I go I will post a report.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Many of us that fished at night for many years are hesitant to do so these days. Not because of wildlife or even people but because it's become so common to have vehicles broken into. There is an element that has come up to live in the high desert that has brought their way of life with them, yes cars being broke into has been around up here for a long time but the gamble is getting to great to ignore now. Damn shame!
    You are most correct, there is a fire road off to the left as you enter the dam area where I used to go just about three times a week, it wound all the way around the backside to a creek mouth where I used to slay 10# plus cats all the time just about, but it became to dangerous so I quit risking my sanity and my life.

I seen people post about a road by the dam. Is this the way to the backside or the dirty side of the lake people are talking about? Can it be accessed with a car? Is there a long hike to the water?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dA KittY PuniSheR View Post
    I seen people post about a road by the dam. Is this the way to the backside or the dirty side of the lake people are talking about? Can it be accessed with a car? Is there a long hike to the water?
    Thanks
    Look at the map; the road is the first and only left as you drive up the road right at the beginning of the pay to park area at the dam, for years it was closed because of a land slide, but it's a fire road so they had to rebuild it. At the time I drove my car a 79 Monte Carlo, the road was dirt with a few ruts but if you drove slow it was safe. It takes you to the quiet/quarry cove area, if it's open be careful and drive slow because I've seen trucks and jeeps with broken axels there. I would also take an equalizer if you get my drift, because some nights I've seen people come from the brush armed with long guns. The hike to the water was not as long as from the highway, and you could see headlights of cars approaching down the road to give you time to hike up if you feared for your car being broken into.

http://www.californiasgreatestlakes....amping_map.png
    Last edited by Theos; 05-03-2016 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theos View Post
    Look at the map; the road is the first and only left as you drive up the road right at the beginning of the pay to park area at the dam, for years it was closed because of a land slide, but it's a fire road so they had to rebuild it. At the time I drove my car a 79 Monte Carlo, the road was dirt with a few ruts but if you drove slow it was safe. It takes you to the quiet/quarry cove area, if it's open be careful and drive slow because I've seen trucks and jeeps with broken axels there. I would also take an equalizer if you get my drift, because some nights I've seen people come from the brush armed with long guns. The hike to the water was not as long as from the highway, and you could see headlights of cars approaching down the road to give you time to hike up if you feared for your car being broken into.

http://www.californiasgreatestlakes....amping_map.png
    Excellent advice Theos!! Can't add much more. I fish there am/pm, any given time (my backyard lake). I have no problems..however, I am armed and never alone. Worry about skunks tho...both kinds.. Big Cats in there..Maybe we'll see ya out there...Fish on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast