Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SARL catfish

Default SARL catfish

Now that Irvine is closed I thought I would try out Santa Ana. My routine at Irvine was to fish during evening hours using pike mackerel soaked in attractant. If I was fishing from shore I used a carolina rig with a 1/4 oz egg sinker. From boat I just fly lined.

Is it safe to say this would work at Santa Ana as well?

Any particular spots I should try? I will probably be fishing from shore when I go.

Tips, pointers, suggestions are appreciated.

[QUOTE=hotramen;779014]Now that Irvine is closed I thought I would try out Santa Ana. My routine at Irvine was to fish during evening hours using pike mackerel soaked in attractant. If I was fishing from shore I used a carolina rig with a 1/4 oz egg sinker. From boat I just fly lined.

Is it safe to say this would work at Santa Ana as well?

Any particular spots I should try? I will probably be fishing from shore when I go.

The drop offs are pretty steep at Santa Ana, yes that method will work, but try it with a deep rod and a shallow rod, I usually cast a long rod with a heavy sinker deep almost to the middle, then I set up a short rod and hit the shallows. vary your leader length accordingly. Hook size is also key, larger hooks work well sometimes, but smaller hooks bring in the easy limits.
    There are several web pages that show the topography of SARL, the fish usually congregate on the down slope of the submerged roads.
    Last edited by Theos; 05-02-2016 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks for the info. I will take into account the topography of the lakes. I usually use a 2/0 circle hook with varying lengths of leader. Go to bait has been pike mackerel and sometimes shrimp soaked in attractant.

I am seeing posts that an area called "Chris' Pond" is best.

Quote Originally Posted by hotramen View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will take into account the topography of the lakes. I usually use a 2/0 circle hook with varying lengths of leader. Go to bait has been pike mackerel and sometimes shrimp soaked in attractant.

I am seeing posts that an area called "Chris' Pond" is best.

How did you do?? I went out yesterday 5/1/2016 Morning and got a big O :skunk: moved around twice from La Palma Corner to Levitz Corner and nothing, it seemed the fish where holding in the middle of the lake I saw a float tube bring up three while I was there. I also would only fish for Cats at Irvine where the Cats seem to hug the shore which seems to be a big different at SARL, at SARL they seem to stay in deeper :-(, the both fisherman to my right and left where casting as far as they could but still didnt see them bring in anything. I think its time to dust off the tube or the boat :-)

Do the Cats at SARL move around more at night??? I heard that SARL Prices go up for the afternoon session of fishing is that two ?? or is it the regular $25 for the afternoon session ?? thanks in Advance.

Am new to Float tubing so if anyone wants to go chase those cats on a float tube let me know ill like to join :-).

Quote Originally Posted by jhernandez25 View Post
    How did you do?? I went out yesterday 5/1/2016 Morning and got a big O :skunk: moved around twice from La Palma Corner to Levitz Corner and nothing, it seemed the fish where holding in the middle of the lake I saw a float tube bring up three while I was there. I also would only fish for Cats at Irvine where the Cats seem to hug the shore which seems to be a big different at SARL, at SARL they seem to stay in deeper :-(, the both fisherman to my right and left where casting as far as they could but still didnt see them bring in anything. I think its time to dust off the tube or the boat :-)

Do the Cats at SARL move around more at night??? I heard that SARL Prices go up for the afternoon session of fishing is that two ?? or is it the regular $25 for the afternoon session ?? thanks in Advance.

Am new to Float tubing so if anyone wants to go chase those cats on a float tube let me know ill like to join :-).
    I have a 13' okuma rod loaded with #65 braid for those middle of the lake cats, it easily reaches the middle and beyond with an Abu Garcia 7000 c3, yes the cats do move around and suspend. You might try a thill big fish slider also to catch the suspended fish with a bobber stop etc. Another good trick is to use the hog wild plastic baits dipped in your favorite scent, since casting bait that far can be tricky, soft plastics with ridges that hold scent work very good for channel cats.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...bb5a766.v1.jpg

Sorry I will probably head there this Friday and do the evening thing. I never had luck fishing for catfish during the daytime. At Irvine fishing during daytime just gave me a sunburn. 8pm to about 11pm was the period most active for me. At Irvine at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Theos View Post
    I have a 13' okuma rod loaded with #65 braid for those middle of the lake cats, it easily reaches the middle and beyond with an Abu Garcia 7000 c3, yes the cats do move around and suspend. You might try a thill big fish slider also to catch the suspended fish with a bobber stop etc. Another good trick is to use the hog wild plastic baits dipped in your favorite scent, since casting bait that far can be tricky, soft plastics with ridges that hold scent work very good for channel cats.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...bb5a766.v1.jpg
    That's a long rod and that definitely helps with the far cast. With a sliding sinker I can usually get a pretty good cast out. At Irvine fishing from shore for catfish a far cast was necessary because on many occasions it was needed to clear grass and weed growth.

I will try suspending my bait as you have mentoned. Maybe an inflated night crawler dipped in attractant.

Shore fishing from the Road, bubble hole and also levitz corner produce very great. Make sure to add marshmallow to your baits and scent plays a big picture to these kitties

I usually have luck tubing levits corner and the pump house area with fly lined baits such as nightcrawlers (my fav), shrimp and cut mackerel.
    Good luck out there and remember if they dont bite with in 15 mins change spots. Catfish stack up and hug each other

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T-rex View Post
    Shore fishing from the Road, bubble hole and also levitz corner produce very great. Make sure to add marshmallow to your baits and scent plays a big picture to these kitties

I usually have luck tubing levits corner and the pump house area with fly lined baits such as nightcrawlers (my fav), shrimp and cut mackerel.
    Good luck out there and remember if they dont bite with in 15 mins change spots. Catfish stack up and hug each other
    Hey T-Rex, last Catfish season we were suppose meet up and chase those Cats but things kept coming up :-( Hopefully this season we can get out on our tubes, I still haven't used it since i bought it, Am still a bit confused on how to use the Marshmallow do you use it to hold some scent in it or do you use it like a Santee Rig?? Do you do all your tube fishing fly lining ???? Let me know when your free maybe we can meet up.

Hey T-Rex, last Catfish season we were suppose meet up and chase those Cats but things kept coming up :-( Hopefully this season we can get out on our tubes, I still haven't used it since i bought it, Am still a bit confused on how to use the Marshmallow do you use it to hold some scent in it or do you use it like a Santee Rig?? Do you do all your tube fishing fly lining ???? Let me know when your free maybe we can meet up.
    Whats up boss yes man i didn't really get to go out last season but this season i am ready. and we can probably set something up for next Friday morning ?
    from the float tube i have both of my rods with a fly line set up (deadly) no weight and no marshmallow.
    adding a marshmallow to your bait basically just look at it as a micetail set up with the marshmallow being the head. i typically let my mallows dry out which they last longer on your bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast