Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 1/2 day Party boat, Long Beach area, PM

Default 1/2 day Party boat, Long Beach area, PM

Went on A 1/2 day to redeem a raincheck i got last year...about to expire. Got there kind of late...parking was backed up due to weekend parking and some kind of foodie event going on...so all spots were taken 90% all the way up to the bow except one on the side which i took. Id say 55-60 folks...normally i would have turned around and just fish the shore somewhere but didnt want to waste the raincheck. Even though I was nearly last in line there was still plenty of rod holders and even a prime tackle box spot..so im like wtf!? But the boat was a sea of orange rod tips that day which explains it. Hit a hard bottom spot around an hour away with decent fishing on sculpin w. Some sanddabs and a few reds mixed in. The sculpin were initially small...threw a lot back but as the tide started coming up they got bigger. Tangles werent that bad surprisingly, because if you could cast a little ways out, since 98% dropped straight down.

As I was dropping down you would periodically see clouds of chunks and particles drifting by. The guy next to me let out a couple of gurgles and belches...then he finally blew...my guess was gatorade and some chicken...then he was out,and i had even more rail space. So the rail space kept growing and the galley and all the benches were filled with people sick and sprawled out. So then a girl with a spinning rod fills an open spot and almost nails a guy with a 2 oz jig tied to the end. She opens the bail..drops it straight down...but then starts stripping all this line off her reel...then she sees someone sitting gets up and puts the rod down and goes and sits on the bench with her underweight jig drifting down toward the stern!

Anyways, i probably caught about 12-15 sculpin to get a limit...ended up w. 5 sculpin, 2 small reds, and 6 sand dabs. I threw a jig for a bit for nothing ..but the deckhands said they havent seen any yellows recently. All i can say is...usually sculpin fishing is pretty damn boring but the pukefest made it kind of interesting. If you see heavy loads on the boats with a mediocre fish count...it doesn't necessarily mean the fishing is bad...sometimes its just the load the boat gets. Ill be glad when i can go out during the week in the summer...id say by the end of the trip, 20 people were sick and the weather was no big deal...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160430_154117.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	48336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160430_154059.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	48337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160430_161413.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	48338  
    Last edited by Frankenfish; 05-01-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Sounds like you were on the Southern Cal. The Groupon deal packs the boat with newbs.

Fished it about 6 weeks ago. Crowded but had no tangles fishing the bow while on anchor.
    Thanks for the report.
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Sounds like you were on the Southern Cal. The Groupon deal packs the boat with newbs.

Fished it about 6 weeks ago. Crowded but had no tangles fishing the bow while on anchor.
    Thanks for the report.
    DR
    Yeah, those groupons will do in the fish counts especially especially when nothing else is biting but bottom species as the regulars dont want to waste their time and hassle w. Tangles and newbs just to catch sculpin and RF. Then you have a boat filled w. people who have a hard time catching sculpin even if they're there for the taking. I don't think i ever let my line soak for more than 3-4 minutes ever without getting a bite, but most of the rent rodders dont know that theyre bit. Theres something to be said for the bow when its just straight bottom fishing as you dont have a bunch of people updrift of you dropping and drifting into your line.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post

Thanks for the report.
    DR
    You're right DR about the boat being the Southern Cal. The 3 pictures the OP posted is the Southern Cal for SURE!!!!!! lol

For half day boat It's not bad. $3parking n groupon deal can get to $22. Took my relative to get hooked on some
    Fish. Yeah weather doesn't help right now. Calm until u hit the break wall then wind city entire time. A few lunkers between the micro rockfish can be caught tho. Good boat and hardworking decks and captain. Jackpot kinda steep at $10 tho. Otherwise thumbs up.

Ha,those pictures were classic,i can almost feel their pain just looking at them,"mal de mar"well at least more rail space as you said,I remember one time on the Monte this real cute girl was having a great time actually drinking wine and enjoying all the attention she was getting from deckhands and other anglers until....she started puking,and not overboard,right on the deck,red wine coming out.....enough said.

Cya Tuna Vic

Excellent you gave me a well needed laugh !!!

Funny thing is weather was pretty nice I thought...just a little breezy, but no real bump. Cant imagine what it would have been like if i had remembered to bring my cigars. Yeah, Groupon can be a good deal...sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to fill a boat and keep things in the black. Anyways, hoping the water will start warming up soon. I have no doubt that if the yellows do come into local range, they'll be one of the first boats to get them.

22 bucks? Man I should go on one of those 1/2 days once in a while. Lol those pictures are hilarious. Poor people.

nice pics
    Robert
    <><