Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Top Secret Public Fishing Hole Exposed in Gardena

Default Top Secret Public Fishing Hole Exposed in Gardena

Went to "U Pick U Save" junkyard yesterday. From the junkyard parking lot there is a great view of this drain channel.
    Been eyeing this place for years because it looks so fishy, always has birds, bait jumping ect.

Sat 4/30/16 I was looking down at this hole and it has more water than usual.
    This turns into the Dominguez Channel thats dumps into the Port of LA near the Henry Ford drawbridge.

Typical birds there. I saw a couple boils and was waiting for a mud hen duck to surface, nothing.

Then I noticed a bunch of baitfish jumping out of the water. I always thought this place holds Carp.

ALL OF A SUDDEN SOMETHING JUMPED.

A minute later this jumper came flying out of the water at a angle and landed 5' away then
    jumped again, and again, and again at least 7 times at a fast pace covering 100' in 10 seconds.

From 100 yards away and above it looked about 14" ? maybe more kinda skinny and NOT a Carp.
    I'm thinking a Bass ? Mullet ?

Across the channel is a open gate and a bike path or service road open to the public.
    Then a short walk down to this urban river. Check it out.

The junkyard is at 17800 S Vermont Ave, Gardena 90248 where you can see this TOP SECRET SPOT.
    There is parking across the channel from this junkyard parking lot viewing spot.

Good Luck and report your findings. If you don't post a report then send a PM about all the DD Bass you catch there. DR

https://www.google.com/maps/place/17...032259a9b0c5a1

I'd guess mullet, they jump out of the water a lot. That junkyard is either on, or just north of the site of the old Ascot Park raceway. I used to work in that big building directly south, at the curve of the 405 when the raceway was still there, but closed. Must have been 1991 or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascot_Park_(speedway)

John
    Last edited by John Harper; 05-01-2016 at 02:14 PM.

DR,

Those are the elusive West Coast Bonefish, aka, Mullets.

And yes, everyone should converge on the Fishing Hole in Gardena, and stop messing with the quarries in Azusa while you pretend you're the next Bill Dance.

I just may give this a go in the summer. Thanks DR

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    I just may give this a go in the summer. Thanks DR
    Better sooner than later Ifishdrdolittle. In the summer the fishing hole shrinks down to a much smaller area.
    This is the same creek that feeds Alondra.

7. Default

Tempting, thanks DR