Hey everyone,

I am taking my 12 year old son on his first "guys only" camping trip with a buddy in a few weeks. Our usual camping/fishing spot is Irvine Lake, but with its closure, we are at a loss. We will be staying in Menifee, but are looking for a place nearby to fish. Looking at the map, I realized how close DVL is to the campground, so I am hoping to gather some advice from some of you who are familiar with the lake.

My fishing experience is completely based on trout fishing, with a bit of catfish mixed in. From what I am reading here, bass seem to the choice at DVL, although the "official report" says that trout is picking up a bit with some stocks. So I guess my questions are:

What should we try to fish for? Is it worth it to go for trout or are we just wasting our time?

If bass, any advice on equipment, gear, etc would be greatly appreciated. I have some equipment left over from a failed bass expedition to Lake Cachuma, but not even sure if it is the right gear or not.

Based on what fish we should target, where are some solid, but easily accessible locations, either by car or short walk. My son is not going to trek around the entire lake.

I am not a regular and not looking to snag anyone's secret spot. I am just trying to put my son on a fish or two to really make his day. He honestly does not care what he catches, anything will do.

Thanks in advance.

Dan