Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Taking My Son Fishing and Looking for Advice

Default Taking My Son Fishing and Looking for Advice

Hey everyone,

I am taking my 12 year old son on his first "guys only" camping trip with a buddy in a few weeks. Our usual camping/fishing spot is Irvine Lake, but with its closure, we are at a loss. We will be staying in Menifee, but are looking for a place nearby to fish. Looking at the map, I realized how close DVL is to the campground, so I am hoping to gather some advice from some of you who are familiar with the lake.

My fishing experience is completely based on trout fishing, with a bit of catfish mixed in. From what I am reading here, bass seem to the choice at DVL, although the "official report" says that trout is picking up a bit with some stocks. So I guess my questions are:

What should we try to fish for? Is it worth it to go for trout or are we just wasting our time?

If bass, any advice on equipment, gear, etc would be greatly appreciated. I have some equipment left over from a failed bass expedition to Lake Cachuma, but not even sure if it is the right gear or not.

Based on what fish we should target, where are some solid, but easily accessible locations, either by car or short walk. My son is not going to trek around the entire lake.

I am not a regular and not looking to snag anyone's secret spot. I am just trying to put my son on a fish or two to really make his day. He honestly does not care what he catches, anything will do.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Have you ever thought or Rancho Jurupa park over by Riverside. I take my 12 year old there and he loves it. They have fishing and camping there. Plus a water splash pad to play on when they get bored of fishing. They have fire rings so you can have a fire at night.

http://www.rivcoparks.org/parks/ranc...upa-park-home/

Just a thought.

DVL is a tough place, and they have rattlesnakes. But at 12 years old he would have a blast on the rocks and trails. Skinner is an option and not too far down the road, and if you are looking for trout there's Lake Hemet a little bit farther the other way. Wherever it is, have fun and be sure to post up a report!

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak5150 View Post
    Have you ever thought or Rancho Jurupa park over by Riverside. I take my 12 year old there and he loves it. They have fishing and camping there. Plus a water splash pad to play on when they get bored of fishing. They have fire rings so you can have a fire at night.

http://www.rivcoparks.org/parks/ranc...upa-park-home/

Just a thought.
    This place looks great. If we were not already set for camping for the weekend, I would move. Definitely will take a look next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    DVL is a tough place, and they have rattlesnakes. But at 12 years old he would have a blast on the rocks and trails. Skinner is an option and not too far down the road, and if you are looking for trout there's Lake Hemet a little bit farther the other way. Wherever it is, have fun and be sure to post up a report!
    Hmmm, yeah, the rattlesnake issue is not a good one. Might look at Skinner or Hemet as an option.

Just curious what you mean by a "tough place." Too crowded? Fish small and skittish? Need a boat to really have a chance? Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Angler Dan View Post
    Hmmm, yeah, the rattlesnake issue is not a good one. Might look at Skinner or Hemet as an option.

Just curious what you mean by a "tough place." Too crowded? Fish small and skittish? Need a boat to really have a chance? Thanks for the information.
    Diamond Valley is a great place for experienced fisherman and regulars, but not a fun place for a newcomer with a child who wants to have fun. You might want to try a better kid friendly lake.

Angler Dan,

You might want to consider Lake Hemet. Campgrounds are close by and I believe they are still stocking trout. It is located up near Idlewilde I believe it is around 5,000 feet elevation and they have recently completed a bunch of renovations....lots of activities besides fishing. Here's a link to their web site: http://lakehemetrecreation.com/fishing/

If you decide to go to DVL put the boys on a drop-shot rig with a purple worm for starts, say 4 1/2" to 6" worm.

Good luck!
    Last edited by BassinPLS; 05-01-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angler Dan View Post

sodapop pretty much said it, fishy as all getout but you have to be on your game. And having a boat gives you a much better chance. But it is a bona fide fishery so if that's what wiggles your worm, go get 'em.

Thanks to everyone for the information. I think since we are going to stick to trying to pull some catfish out of the small canals at the campground. Nothing spectacular, but it will be right outside the tent and not as big of a commitment.

I really appreciate the tips regarding Hemet, as well as the campground at Rancho Jurupa. Feeling a bit lost after losing the comfort and familiarity of Irvine, so we are definitely going to try some new spots.