Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 4/29 Mission Bay skiff rental and a couple of reminders

Default 4/28 Mission Bay skiff rental and a couple of reminders

I'm very much a fan of bay/surf fishing, but hadn't ever checked out MB. I gave it a go on Thursday with a rental skiff out of Dana Landing ($70 all day which is 6-6). I give the Dana Landing crew, store, and skiff all a big time thumbs up. It's an awesome spot, fisherman's paradise it seems to me, and I hope to do business with them again many times. Not just for the skiff, but they have a deli and thoroughly stocked cold cases. I had the BLT and it was certifiably yumalicious. I grabbed a handful of plastics for the day too. Anyway great first impression of DL as you can tell.

Weather was cool, cloudy, and a little breezy. Tide was just finishing going out. I settled on a spot that looked like a good enough place to start, so I let my swimbait do it's thing. After what I recall as being maybe half a dozen casts in, I brought a 2# model spottie to the boat by working the eel grass. I was pumped because everything was going pretty much exactly the way it was supposed to, in regards to where to find them and what/how to present. I had landed my target species within the first few casts. Not thinking anything else remarkable about the fish, I efficiently released it and went back to work on what I assumed at this point was going to be a great SBB fish count, I was pretty darn sure it would be a PB day too come to think of it.

Around 10am, the weather turned foul. A gentle rain came and intensified into a sustained shower. I expected the rain to go away and let me continue fishing comfortably. This was not the case. It just so happened that I had made my way up to Fisherman's Channel and really didn't have any place to duck out of it. I was prepared for cold but not at all for rain because, I didn't stay up to date with the weather forecast nor do I own suitable rain gear. So I slogged back into the landing wearing a lot more water than I started with.

Well it turns out that after an earnest effort, the 2# SBB was in fact my only taker of the day... whatsoever. It was certainly not for lack of effort I assure you! Perhaps not helping my numbers, I did stick to swimbaits as I am in need of building my skill there, which may be more dire that I had previously thought.
    Last edited by Glenn; 04-29-2016 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Corrected date in title.

Nice report.
    I have been to the bay fishing next to Dana but don't have the guts to take a boat out in the ocean with the swells, tides, currents, etc...
    Still sticking to shore fishing....

Cool report,nice to hear about a class skiff rental operation too,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

Very cool indeed, me and the nephew do the same in NPH about 3 times a summer..........much fun