Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Anaheim Bay 04/22/16

Default Anaheim Bay 04/22/16

Took the canoe out to try my hand at this spot. Fished by the Simple Green building because people have told me how great this spot was back in the day. Made it to the spot early afternoon and fished a couple hours. Got a chase and a 14 inch barracuda on a lucky craft 110 - forget the type I used and a 12 inch halibut on a Krocodile prismatic lure.

Was loads of fun, beautiful day and apart from the construction going on nearby, didn't get skunked! Threw out some other items: chunks of anchovy, green Wham lure and some white and red rubber like skirt thingie (sorry, still new to fishing and don't quite know all the terminology, etc heehee).

Overall, as an intermediate, had a great time fishing on a beautiful day and was nice catching my first saltwater fish on the retrieve! Cast out my Lucky Craft and 1 second later while retrieving...BAM - FISH ON and it was so much fun! Wish I knew what fish chased the Lucky Craft lure but it jetted out by the time it got close to the top water. Looked like a halibut but not sure. Was so crazy because I felt it bite it! hehe.

Ok, that's my try at an update. Hope you enjoy and happy fishing everyone!
    Last edited by kmagz7; 04-25-2016 at 10:58 AM.

That's s great first outing kmagz7 and a super first report. I'm sure it won't be too long before your back out there doing it again.

Best of luck to you,

Nick

Nice work getting out there & getting on some fish.
    Robert
    <><

Hi ya kmagz7,

A Barrie and a Butt ... an excellent session! You definitely beat the ol' dreaded skunk! WTG!!

Nice going on your first salt water fish on the retrieve!
    LC 110's are my favorite go-to lures that just produce quality fish.

I hope to be reading more of your fishing reports in the near future,

SP Dan <"))><

Thank you Nick, Robert and SP Dan! I am looking to try out Cherry Beach next and seeing if I can't tackle surf fishing. Of course, looking forward to hitting up Anaheim Bay again and within the next few weekends, Lake Cachuma. A friend of mine gave me a beginner's fly fishing kit so want to take it out and see if I can't learn a thing or two as well. I hope to drag out my friend who is a certified fly fishing instructor to teach me some things so I don't pick up bad habits heehee.

I count myself lucky that I joined the FNN because there are so many great resources and so many wonderful people willing to answer any questions and help me out. I recall one of the first times I rented a skiff out of Davey's Locker and a guy had all these halibut. Unknowing me was overjoyed with his take and ran up like a little school girl congratulating him and in awe of his fish. He was solemn and the second I asked where, he clammed up, gave me a face and pointed out in the water. I always found it funny how secretive fisher folks can be but I do understand.

Anyhoo, Happy day and Happy fishing everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Hi ya kmagz7,

A Barrie and a Butt ... an excellent session! You definitely beat the ol' dreaded skunk! WTG!!

Nice going on your first salt water fish on the retrieve!
    LC 110's are my favorite go-to lures that just produce quality fish.

I hope to be reading more of your fishing reports in the near future,

SP Dan <"))><
    Thank you Dan! I was definitely pleased with the Lucky Craft 110. I had read so much about them browsing the FNN forums and had to give them a go. Of course, I got a bit too ambitious when I first purchased them (hefty price tag!!!) that I took them out surf fishing and lost one...right away...while casting it out... HAHA. I believe I tied my knot wrong:(.

One thing though...in browsing the local fishing shop for the Lucky Craft 110's I noticed other lures that looked very similar and dove the same depth, etc. Would you recommend investing in those? I wonder if cheaper in price means not as effective or if effectiveness really plays a roll? There is just sooo much being sold out there that I get lost in it all!

Happy Fishing Dan and hope to hear some stories of your excursions:)

Krystle

Nice first session!

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    A Barrie and a Butt ... an excellent session!
    Very good indeed, keep at it and your species list will grow

Quote Originally Posted by surffishingsean View Post
    Nice first session!
    Thank you Sean! Happy Fishing to you!

Quote Originally Posted by kmagz7 View Post
    Took the canoe out to try my hand at this spot. Fished by the Simple Green building because people have told me how great this spot was back in the day. Made it to the spot early afternoon and fished a couple hours. Got a chase and a 14 inch barracuda on a lucky craft 110 - forget the type I used and a 12 inch halibut on a Krocodile prismatic lure.

Was loads of fun, beautiful day and apart from the construction going on nearby, didn't get skunked! Threw out some other items: chunks of anchovy, green Wham lure and some white and red rubber like skirt thingie (sorry, still new to fishing and don't quite know all the terminology, etc heehee).

Overall, as an intermediate, had a great time fishing on a beautiful day and was nice catching my first saltwater fish on the retrieve! Cast out my Lucky Craft and 1 second later while retrieving...BAM - FISH ON and it was so much fun! Wish I knew what fish chased the Lucky Craft lure but it jetted out by the time it got close to the top water. Looked like a halibut but not sure. Was so crazy because I felt it bite it! hehe.

Ok, that's my try at an update. Hope you enjoy and happy fishing everyone!
    Good job getting out there. Me and my 2 friends went on a skiff last weekend and did good.