Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: SARL Sturgeon

Default SARL Sturgeon

Saw online they would be stocking sturgeon soon? Any guess on when this will be? How many do they usually stock in there?

Quote Originally Posted by jjbergie11 View Post
    Saw online they would be stocking sturgeon soon? Any guess on when this will be? How many do they usually stock in there?
    Usually 3, one for each lake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Usually 3, one for each lake!!!
    Lol, i will give you props for that one, Tucks.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Lol, i will give you props for that one, Tucks.
    Did I miss something?

Did I miss something?
    Only the history of pay lakes and stocking Sturgeon!!!!! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-23-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Hey JJ, welcome aboard. SARL has planted sturgeon several times over the years. They always seem to plant a fair number of smaller fish, six to 20 pounds or so, and a couple of bigger fish approaching 40 or 50 pounds. I would imagine the fish are pretty expensive to source so the number planted won't be in the tens of thousands of pounds, but they will plant more than a couple of fish. The fish bite the same baits as catfish, and occasionally someone fishing trout would hang one on Power Bait and get the ride of their life. All of mine came on nightcrawlers. Watch online for their stocking video as they are sure to post this one. Good luck when you go!

The problem with planting Sturgeon in a pay lake it's more for show then go. Irvine planted them first 30 years ago and only a handful where caught the first year. After that only once in a Blue moon someone would actually catch one. At Irvine they had 2 big ones they called Mascots and asked people not to fish for them if seen. Marley did a pretty good job of describing what SARL has done in the past with them. (usually their Catch & Release only) The only pay lake that stocked them to take home was Hesperia lake about 5 years ago. They did about 3 stockings one year of smaller ones for people to take home. (a fair amount of people actually caught them) I went their once with my buddy Bruce to try to catch one. He did on his first cast!!!! I was so determined to catch one that I fished for them all day. In the mean time a fairy good trout bite was happening right next to us on jigs. Bruce caught a bunch of Trout and the Sturgeon and I went home Skunked!!!! My point is don't get too excited about them and watch the stocking video after their stocked and count how many of them they actually put in the lake. (I'll bet they will be C&R only!!!)

Here is some food for thought!!!! They had them in SARL a number of years back, in one of their many draining's of the lake they undoubtfully netted them all up and probably put them into Corona lake. Are they still in Corona lake and surviving??????

PS. The joke I made about planting 1 in each lake has some validity. A couple of years back, SARL literally planted 1 DD catfish per week in 2 of the 3 lakes a few times. They would catch it with a net out of the truck and let it go into the lake. (I actually felt embarrassed for them at the time) Don't think I'm bagging on the lake at all!!!! In reality I always have liked the people at SARL & Corona lake. In one 2 year period, my boat had seen landed on it over 30 trout over #7. 2/3 of them being DD. "Thanks SARL!!!!" I wish you would stock it like that again!!!!!! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-23-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Okay thank you guys for the information, it really helps. Hopefully I can hook into one of those bad boys when they stock.