Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Which Anchor Should I Use ?????

Default Which Anchor Should I Use ?????

Ok so I have done hundreds of Google searches to determine what type of anchor I should use for my 15.5 Skeeter boat, I started by using a single 20lb mushroom anchor In a SARL but all that seem to do was make me go in circles around the anchor line (am I doing something wrong or 1 anchor is not enough) I been thinking of getting another anchor and dropping one on the front left side and a second on the right side towards the back ??? am new to this whole boat scene so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

If you have one anchor, you will swing into the wind or current, whichever is greater. A bow and stern anchor will keep you in one place but your boat is still subject to those two forces.
    There are a number of boater sites that talk about anchoring and what types of anchors to use. I would also suggest in having 10-15 feet of chain attached to your anchors and then the anchor rope. The chain keeps the anchor set on the bottom.

The anchor chain is a must and use up to three to seven times the depth (depending on conditions) as a good number for how much anchor rope to let out. If your straight up over your anchor it isn't going to work.
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 04-20-2016 at 10:32 AM.

I have a 16'7 aluminum boat & use a Danforth anchor for the bow & a 10lb mushroom anchor for the stern. The key is to get the Danforth dug in over a spot & the mushroom keeps the boat from pendeling (swinging)....

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
    I have a 16'7 aluminum boat & use a Danforth anchor for the bow & a 10lb mushroom anchor for the stern. The key is to get the Danforth dug in over a spot & the mushroom keeps the boat from pendeling (swinging)....
    THANKS EVERYONE for all the great advice, I think am Leaning towards MarkyMark way and get a Danforth Anchor, What size is your Danforth MarkyMark?? am also going to make sure to add a chain to all my anchors since they currently do not have one attached, Thanks again.

No problem! I'll check when I get home. BTW, look at this thread & comments:

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...boat+anchoring

I learned a lot from that video

MM

Quote Originally Posted by jhernandez25 View Post
    THANKS EVERYONE for all the great advice, I think am Leaning towards MarkyMark way and get a Danforth Anchor, What size is your Danforth MarkyMark?? am also going to make sure to add a chain to all my anchors since they currently do not have one attached, Thanks again.
    My Danforth is a 10

MM

I have a spare for sale. The anchor on the Left (free) is bent. If you can bend it back then you got yourself a spare anchor.
    Everything in pic $40 Pm me if interested

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13054581_1095963833805255_1306895604_o.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	48269

Quote Originally Posted by troutsniffer View Post
    I have a spare for sale. The anchor on the Left (free) is bent. If you can bend it back then you got yourself a spare anchor.
    Everything in pic $40 Pm me if interested

Where are you located at???