Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake henshaw?

Default Lake henshaw?

Im gonna hit lake henshaw for a second time around anyone got any tip what to use any any locations? I went there for the first time after pick up my new-to-me boat nearby but caught nothing. I like this lake and wanna give it a second try. BTW my target is that huge crappies but I only fish this specie once or twice mainly bass so im not really sure if i know what I am doing at the lake.

Henshaw used to be a fantastic lake with good catches of bass, big crappie and channel catfish. We used to go up there almost every weekend and rent a boat. I don't know what happened as to why it does not have good fishing anymore. Maybe the low water level and maybe all the carp it now has in it. Your best bet would be to go into the lake store and ask them where on the lake you should fish, baits, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Henshaw used to be a fantastic lake with good catches of bass, big crappie and channel catfish. We used to go up there almost every weekend and rent a boat. I don't know what happened as to why it does not have good fishing anymore. Maybe the low water level and maybe all the carp it now has in it. Your best bet would be to go into the lake store and ask them where on the lake you should fish, baits, etc..
    The lady at the store is very helpful. I've been calling her up the last few weeks hoping the Crappie turn on big time. What she has been telling me, several nice catfish are being caught off of the fishing pier most day's. The Crappie fishing is ok for the regulars who know the lake. (it hasn't gone stupid yet) That's the only time I can catch them!!!! lol Just walk toward the Dam and try any good likely spot along the way. Hopefully with this weather it might push them back in along the shoreline. (if that's the case I'll see you there Saturday!!!!) lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-19-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
    Im gonna hit lake henshaw for a second time around anyone got any tip what to use any any locations? I went there for the first time after pick up my new-to-me boat nearby but caught nothing. I like this lake and wanna give it a second try. BTW my target is that huge crappies but I only fish this specie once or twice mainly bass so im not really sure if i know what I am doing at the lake.
    Standard Crappie rig from shore. A bobber with a 2-4 foot leader and an assortment of Crappie jigs. (2-4 lbs best) It wouldn't hurt if you put a meal worm or a Crappie nugget on your jig to enhance your offering.

How about fish from boat? What to use? I believe last time a guy at the lake told me to use live minow. He even tell me where to get them but i dont know if it is legal to use live bait in that lake. Last time i also hit the dam but produce really nothing but it was a rainy day and cold. He also told me to come back in two weeks when the weather get warmer, that why i wanna go back there.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
    How about fish from boat? What to use? I believe last time a guy at the lake told me to use live minow. He even tell me where to get them but i dont know if it is legal to use live bait in that lake. Last time i also hit the dam but produce really nothing but it was a rainy day and cold. He also told me to come back in two weeks when the weather get warmer, that why i wanna go back there.
    Minnow's are a legal bait in San Diego county. If you're in a boat head for the dam, if you drift across the buoy line area that will usually produce if their in a biting mood. (if their in a biting mood they bite both minnows and the Crappie jigs about equally) A few years back the gentlemen who was running the boats seemed to know everything. (I don't know if he's still there) A call is a real easy way to find out what's going on. (I was planning on calling this afternoon)
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-20-2016 at 04:29 PM.

I just got off the phone with the lady at the tackle shop down there. The warm weather only improved the Crappie bite this week a little bit. With a cooling trend coming in, "don't expect any great shakes down there!!" Her exact words were the Crappie haven't started to spawn yet!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-21-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Years ago we used to net large Mosquitofish from the shallows east of the fishing dock and use them for bait in the lake. Wow! You talk about a magical bait! Carefully hooked thru both lips with a fine wire number 10 hook below a bobber up 5 feet with a tiny split shot 8 inches above the bait… this was the killer set up. Fish along the steep rocks of the southern part of the dam or any area that had submerged trees in 5 feet or more of water. Not really sure if this was legal to use these minnows for bait, but since they were netted from the same lake, we thought it was alright.