Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stripers at it again

Sorry, my knowledge of fishing is very limited and I'm still a beginner:)

What does WFO mean?
    What is a double hook up?
    Where were the stripers caught? From reading this post, I'm guessing the area wouldn't be safe for a single female?

Happy Fishing All!

It's okay, just fishing language -
    WFO = Wide F.....g Open
    Double hook up = 2 rods, or fishermen hooked up at the same time (generally both fishing off a boat).
    As far as safe... At Silverwood, it is generally safe for everyone, the most annoying thing for us fishing fools it is the jet skis and speed boats that are our biggest problems, that is also generally the feelings for those of us who do not fish from a boat.
    There are some dangers out there though, not to be too complacent... There are Rattle snakes, coyotes, and I have to believe an occasional mountain lion, as it is technically a part of the San Bernardino Forrest - and for the record those animals do not discriminate - male or female, it is just the same to them.
    Do you generally fish on a boat or the shore? There are many of us who generally fish off our boats alone, and many of us offer the "Back seat" to another person.
    The back seat, only because the front seat is generally used by the boat owner who controls the boat with a trolling motor from the "Front seat". Generally the fresh water fishing boats are designed optimally for 2 people to fish from. however a 3rd angler could fish as well, it is just not as comfortable.
    When I fish the "Wood" aka Silverwood, I will often invite another angler waiting in line to get in in the morning who would be normally fishing off the dock or the shore to join me.
    Many of the other boaters do the same. In the event that you ever want to tag along, just PM (that is "Private message") me and let me know, my wife can't stand fishing so I end up fishing buy myself, additionally I have weekends off and most of my fishing friends work the weekends. (A bonus for being so old!)
    At any rate I have an annual pass for both Silverwood as well as Paris lakes, but have recently discovered the river, and have been spending more time there than anywhere else... Looking for those double Digit fish - (Fish over 10 pounds) I don't really have too much of a preference for what kind of fish that I get to hook up, I just like the fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Durdy Daug View Post
    It's okay, just fishing language -
    WFO = Wide F.....g Open
    Double hook up = 2 rods, or fishermen hooked up at the same time (generally both fishing off a boat).
    As far as safe... At Silverwood, it is generally safe for everyone, the most annoying thing for us fishing fools it is the jet skis and speed boats that are our biggest problems, that is also generally the feelings for those of us who do not fish from a boat.
    There are some dangers out there though, not to be too complacent... There are Rattle snakes, coyotes, and I have to believe an occasional mountain lion, as it is technically a part of the San Bernardino Forrest - and for the record those animals do not discriminate - male or female, it is just the same to them.
    Do you generally fish on a boat or the shore? There are many of us who generally fish off our boats alone, and many of us offer the "Back seat" to another person.
    The back seat, only because the front seat is generally used by the boat owner who controls the boat with a trolling motor from the "Front seat". Generally the fresh water fishing boats are designed optimally for 2 people to fish from. however a 3rd angler could fish as well, it is just not as comfortable.
    When I fish the "Wood" aka Silverwood, I will often invite another angler waiting in line to get in in the morning who would be normally fishing off the dock or the shore to join me.
    Many of the other boaters do the same. In the event that you ever want to tag along, just PM (that is "Private message") me and let me know, my wife can't stand fishing so I end up fishing buy myself, additionally I have weekends off and most of my fishing friends work the weekends. (A bonus for being so old!)
    At any rate I have an annual pass for both Silverwood as well as Paris lakes, but have recently discovered the river, and have been spending more time there than anywhere else... Looking for those double Digit fish - (Fish over 10 pounds) I don't really have too much of a preference for what kind of fish that I get to hook up, I just like the fight!
    Thank you Durdy Daug for the explanations and information! I appreciate it very much! I will definitely take you up on your offer and have you show me the ropes:). Appreciate your kindness and willingness to show a beginner some things.

Hope you have a pleasant Wednesday and Happy Fishing!

No worries, this Saturday I will be finishing painting a friends house, spent 4 days last week painting the outside of her house, but I have not yet finished, so this Saturday I have to finish up. (her daughter just graduated Law school and a party is scheduled, this is my gift, painting her house), them this Sunday I am planning on riding to Parker Arizona to look into the river fishing opportunities for next weekend or else the next, depending on which has the better forecast for little to no wind! I don't care about the rain, but I cannot seam to catch fish in the wind, additionally I spend too much energy fighting the boat in the wind! My desire is to be able to find a place to set the anchor and fish through out the night as I hear that the big stripers like to bite at night, from experience I also know that the catfish are most active at night!
    You mentioned your experience with fishing the ocean. Where do / did you fish out of? I fished out of Point Loma for the past 20 years, mostly on long range boats as well as 1.5 day up to 4 day trips, the longest being an 11 day. I have caught most every one of the top sport fish, including a Yellowfin tuna over 100 pounds, Bluefin tuna, Bigeye tuna, Albacore tuna, Wahoo, Dorado, yellowtail, grouper, and even hooked marlin on light line.
    I have all the equipment including all 2 speed reels, and custom Cal Star rods. No ocean boat, I have no desire to own one either! Too much maintenance and responsibility! Much easier to just pay, eat, sleep, and fish! Wake up and drive home, little clean up on the equipment and the fish, smoke the fish, package it up and give it away at work!
    For the fresh water fishing, I just got back into that type of fishing really heavy the past 2 years, bought a 1995 Spectrum from a friend from the Independence Fishing boat, enjoyed that so much that this past August I went out and bought a 2016 Tracker pro195txw, which is the largest aluminum bass boat that Tracker makes, this boat is loaded with Elite fish finders, a 150 HP motor, trolling motor, electronic downrigger, stereo, and 1000 lumen spotlight in the bow of the boat. The boat really rides well on the water, it is 18 feet 7 inches long with an 8 foot beam.
    I love fishing and camping, but my lovely wife does not share my passion for either, but she does enjoy the eating of the fish, which strangely enough, I do not! Many of my friends find this really funny, that I am so passionate about fishing, but do not eat fish... I ask them what their sport is... many say Golf!, So I ask them, well do you eat your Golf balls? - What??? Eat my Golf Balls? that is different!, to which I reply, not really, you Golf because you enjoy chasing a little white ball around a field of green grass, I enjoy fighting a fish on the blue water of a serine lake!

Well I'll be trying my luck at Silverwood this Sunday.

Anyone fly fish the lake or streams ?

Looking for any advice...

Yes. Trout fishing should be real good right now in Cleghorn or Miller areas if you are walking the shoreline, if boating it any of the larger coves should be holding trout. Not too much creek flow right now other than Miller, might be a slight increase due to the rain in flow but for the most part the other inlets will probably not contain any rainbows. Beadhead black wooly bugger will get you both bass and trout, not the right season but if stripers were in shallow they also will readily take a bugger. You can also do the Crowley type indicator rig with a small prince or other nymph pattern.

Some of my largest bass at Silverwood have come off fly's so you may get to tangle with one of them.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Yes. Trout fishing should be real good right now in Cleghorn or Miller areas if you are walking the shoreline, if boating it any of the larger coves should be holding trout. Not too much creek flow right now other than Miller, might be a slight increase due to the rain in flow but for the most part the other inlets will probably not contain any rainbows. Beadhead black wooly bugger will get you both bass and trout, not the right season but if stripers were in shallow they also will readily take a bugger. You can also do the Crowley type indicator rig with a small prince or other nymph pattern.

Some of my largest bass at Silverwood have come off fly's so you may get to tangle with one of them.

Good luck!
    Shocked half of the lake last week, there are trout everywhere, absolutely everywhere.

Does anyone know the lake temp?

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    Shocked half of the lake last week, there are trout everywhere, absolutely everywhere.
    Yes and we appreciate it! Don't know the reason but hoping the outcome will be a return to a decent holdover bite in the future.

found trout in the right hand cover at Twin Cove (theres a hump in the middle) - fished small flicker shad on light gear over them, 19 trout in about 3 hours (change of pace from fishing for bass) water temp up there was 61.8.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast