Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blythe again!

Default Blythe again!

Heading out to my new favorite fishing spot again, this time we are going to try for a 5 day adventure. Trying for a record cat (record for me that is!)... Also going to try to coax a big striper to join our little party. I think that I will bring my Lap top and give reports daily for anyone that may be interested. I am also going to try to learn how to post pictures to this site. There have been many members that have been so helpful with giving me advise and assistance with the new sport for me. Hope that my posts are not too boring, and I don't know why I feel compelled to write posts to this site, but I do know that I really enjoy reading the posts of other members. Hearing about their adventures and mishaps. I have been adding to my tools / equipment to assist me with being more successful as a fresh water angler. The latest tool that I bought is a floating light that is advertised to attract fish at night, so on this trip I am going to try it out! I am also looking to buy a 1000 lumen bow / navigation light to assist with navigating the river at night, my concern is how much the light will drain my batteries, plan on asking BPS prior to buying the light, It would appear to be an excellent tool for fishing places like the river where you can fish all night if you are of mind to... Well once again I will have to see by trial and error!
    I was thinking of anchoring (Spelling is not my best) up on the main river at some of the points to fish for the big cats, but I am concerned that if the anchor breaks free from the bottom, I may be in a lot of trouble really quickly... Any thoughts / experience with this?
    This trip I am having a fellow FNN member joining me, as I generally fish / camp alone (The Wife cant stand the camping or fishing concept) and most of my friends and co-workers do not have the flexibility and spontaneity that I do, so if anyone else ever wants to join me, please send me a PM and we can give it a try. I plan on attempting on making these excursions (3) day trips every other weekend for the next few months. (Every other weekend because that is the wife's work schedule...

run your light off of your starting battery, myself would look at getting a smaller led light bar for offroad should be able to come up with something for 50 bucks er so,, a little light goes a long way on the dark river

when anchoring on the river, the very MOST important thing to remember is NEVER EVER put a anchor out the back of the boat http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showt...-Anchoring-101 http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Anchoring.htm me I use a 15lb navy anchor with 6' of 3/8 chain need to put out about 7' of rope for evey foot of water your in, 10 ft of water 70 ft of rope, always keep mine in a 5 gal bucket,, tie off end of rope to bucket handle then put rope in bucket then chain then anchor on top, should never tangel and can pick up the whole pile and move it around
    Last edited by riverbud55; 04-15-2016 at 08:59 AM.

good luck. you can get a seperate battery for light. btw....keep posting your reports. always good to hear others fishing outings.

Just posted my latest adventure, I started out with another guy from this site, he had received a text on Sunday morning that his mother had been taken in to the hospital. Flew back home to get him back to his truck, I had left the tent , boat and trailer at the camp site, dropped him off and turned around for another 3 hour drive, I don't think that I had missed much by not being able to fish for the majority of Sunday, good news was that his mother was alright!
    Traffic was really light, so I made pretty good time, got out for the evening red ear bite, I even soaked a red ear one line, and Chicken wrapped in bacon on the second line, what a waste of good food! No fish even came by to smell it! Oh well I really don't do much eating anyways, I always bring about 30 pounds of food, but I never get around to eating. I'm either fishing or I am sleeping preparing to get out and fish again. Funny thing was that for this trip I bought 10 pounds of "Dry Ice" and then added 15 pounds of regular ice, the eggs actually froze solid, I had never seen that before, the yolks were like they were hard boiled and never changed after cooking. I took a couple of bites and decided that I really wasn't hungry any ways, so I ended up throwing dinner in the trash.
    I found that the fish finders were pretty much useless, with the exception for the one at the cockpit, which allowed me to gauge my speed and more importantly the water depth! I had bought and hooked up a "Lowrance Hook 7" for my trolling motor, all that I seen was a whole lot of debris... I was looking at my "Lowrance Mark 3" which is not in color, and I was thinking that I was missing something, I was tempted to take my "Lowrance Elite 4" off the new boat and replace that one with a "Lowrance Hook 5", at the end of the trip I came to the realization that all I really use the "Mark 3" for is speed, depth, and water temp, which really can not justify the added expense...
    Not sure where to plan my next adventure? I would like to get a double digit Cat, LMB, and Striper!
    Well in all reality I did get at least one of each of these this past trip, that is if you take into consideration, ounces, rather than pounds!

Good on you for bringing the other guy back home. That's pretty cool of you to do that for him. I had my own Colorado River trip this past weekend as well. Water was a bit cold and dirty so the bite was off. My big cat honey hole seems to have dried out. Stripers were chewing but not as good as two weeks ago. Water was pushing this weekend which killed the bite somewhat I think. I'll be back at it again in two weeks. Got 3 respectable jailbirds this weekend. Beat the skunk so good enough for me.... Was waiting to hear your report to see how your trip went. Glad to hear you stuck something...

I am actually thinking of getting out this next weekend, not the one in a couple of days, but the next. Any suggestions on where I might have fun and get bit?
    I would need to know how deep, or rather how shallow the water is to know which boat to take, the Spectrum 17, is running great now and a blast in shallow water, but it lacks the comfort of the 18 '7" PRO195TXW. Kind of scared of getting that one stuck in too shallow of water!

I don't have a boat Durdy Daug, so I do my fishing from shore. My kitty hole is off the beaten path so I couldn't even explain how to get to it. If you're interested in getting some jailbirds from shore, I can help. Shoot me a pm.

Done... Just now!

mite suggest fishing below/behind some of the wing dykes/dams down just below Cibola bridge/BLM ramp and camp nice place to work from the BLM camp down in the PV area,,,,,,always a good time at the ol river fish er no fish,,, How was the wind down there,, up in Topock was winder then a sob 3 days straight, never put the boat on the water, always a good time at the river fish n er not fish n,, just a way of life,,,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1058 (1200 x 803).jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	48247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2990-copy_edited.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	48248  
    Last edited by riverbud55; 04-22-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by riverbud55 View Post
    mite suggest fishing below/behind some of the wing dykes/dams down just below Cibola bridge/BLM ramp and camp nice place to work from the BLM camp down in the PV area,,,,,,always a good time at the ol river fish er no fish,,, How was the wind down there,, up in Topock was winder then a sob 3 days straight, never put the boat on the water, always a good time at the river fish n er not fish n,, just a way of life,,,
    Very nice!

MM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast