Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blythe again!

Quote Originally Posted by riverbud55 View Post
    mite suggest fishing below/behind some of the wing dykes/dams down just below Cibola bridge/BLM ramp and camp nice place to work from the BLM camp down in the PV area,,,,,,always a good time at the ol river fish er no fish,,, How was the wind down there,, up in Topock was winder then a sob 3 days straight, never put the boat on the water, always a good time at the river fish n er not fish n,, just a way of life,,,
    Very nice! My dad used to take me to Blythe during the 70's ...we fished a lot of canals & back waters...memories..would like to go back now curious

MM

The wind was up on Saturday, and it calmed down about 17:00, Not really sure about Sunday as I had to run back to drop my fishing partner back at the house - 180 miles each way! got back in the late afternoon, and it was not too bad, Monday was flat calm, Tuesday as well, left at 12:00 noon, Not knowing my way around that part of the state posses a challenge for me, there was a suggestion to fish at various parts of the river, but even so, again I do not know how to get there... When I do fish the river I also need to know at what depth the river is running so that I can be prepared with the appropriate boat. As I fortunately have 2, 1 is a 17 foot Spectrum, and can fish in about 12 inches of water, whereas my 2nd boat is 18 foot 7 inches and rides much deeper. I don't like to get it into water that is more shallow than 4 feet or more!
    Last edited by Durdy Daug; 04-23-2016 at 05:36 PM. Reason: additional information

get yourself one of these, one of the best investments you can make http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...4371/cat100772 its a fishing map of the lower Colorado from Parker dam down to yuma have one also for Havasu , gives you water depth conture lines , gives you known fish n holes, boat ramp locations, camps sites, and a lot more,,, should be able to get them at turners, west marine,, out in Blythe yellow mart has them,,,.

saw you talk n Parker Dam, mite look in at Havasu Springs resort ,, located right above the dam on lake Havasu ,, be a good place for your bigger boat,, think they still have a camp there, also some boat in camps on the lake, have a nice hotel for when it gets hot,, good fishing near by,, flats can be had on the lower south end of the lake, head over to the Bill Williams arm fish the little river coming into the river ,,, wouldn't spend my time fishing the Parker strip below the dam, to much boat traffic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0762-copy.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	48301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0785.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	48302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0788_edited.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	48303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0800_edited.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	48304  
    Last edited by riverbud55; 04-27-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by riverbud55 View Post
    get yourself one of these, one of the best investments you can make http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...4371/cat100772 its a fishing map of the lower Colorado from Parker dam down to yuma have one also for Havasu , gives you water depth conture lines , gives you known fish n holes, boat ramp locations, camps sites, and a lot more,,, should be able to get them at turners, west marine,, out in Blythe yellow mart has them,,,.

saw you talk n Parker Dam, mite look in at Havasu Springs resort ,, located right above the dam on lake Havasu ,, be a good place for your bigger boat,, think they still have a camp there, also some boat in camps on the lake, have a nice hotel for when it gets hot,, good fishing near by,, flats can be had on the lower south end of the lake, head over to the Bill Williams arm fish the little river coming into the river ,,, wouldn't spend my time fishing the Parker strip below the dam, to much boat traffic
    yellow mart in blythe has closed, if you want a map make sure to get one before you head down there.

Quote Originally Posted by gcopple View Post
    yellow mart in blythe has closed, if you want a map make sure to get one before you head down there.
    that SUCKS!!, thanks for the heads up, been a few years since I have stopped by the place, was a great sporting goods store,,, how long they been closed??? thats the biggest problem with Blythe no place to buy any thing,one overly high priced grocery store, fart n smile(smart and finial) , kmart, true value hardware, guess now if ya need a fish n pole or quality gear your sol unless you go to Kmart lol
    Last edited by riverbud55; 04-27-2016 at 02:33 PM.

RB55, again I am in your debt. I will attempt to pick one of these maps up at my local turners, I plan to ride my Harley down there (To Parker) this Sunday to check the place out, is there any where down there where I can pick up one of these maps in the event that Turners does not have them? Or could you send me information on how to send money to you and you mail a map to me? Additionally I would be honored if I could get out and fish with you sometime. I still have to report for work M - F, but I try to get out on the water at least every other weekend, and some weeks I extend my weekends on either side to make it a 4 or 5 day stretch, especially when the fishing destination is in excess of a 4 hour drive one way. It is not really cost effective to drive all the way out there camp , fish, and then make a quick turn around. For me I am beginning to enjoy the solitude of camping almost as much as the fishing. It may sound crazy, but it is often a welcome thing to be at my camp site all by myself with nothing but the camp fire for company some nights, I would however rather get acclimated to fish through out the night and then sleep in the day. That has been my plan several times lately, but with the river being a fast current and the 2 back water spots that I have located so far, the night fishing has not worked out, either the fishing is too slow or I get too cold or else I simply get tired and give up and return to my tent and sleeping bag!
    I am hoping that this Sunday I can scope out a good place to camp that is reasonably close to the launch ramp so that I can go from the tent to the boat, and ideally fish the evening and most of the night, if not all the night on anchor and then return to the tent for a couple of hours of shuteye, get up eat a little and return to fishing. Having not been out there yet I do not know how feasible that would be,
    I have camped and fished out of Katherines Landing as well as Willow beach, both places I did not see a way to fish at night. I also camped and fished out of cattail cove, there were many more possibilities there, but during my time there the wind was up and that made for a difficult time fishing. I will obviously need to plan my trips around the wind forecasts. I do not mind the rain, but the wind is absolutely no good for me and fishing.

Thank you soooo much for the information, I just went to the web site and ordered the map! I will not be able to take that ride up to the river for the scouting trip today as the painting of my friends house has turned into a nightmare and I have to paint today again! But with the information of all of you FNN people I feel confident that I will be able to get in some quality fishing the weekend of May 14 & 15. The web site indicated that the map will get to me in about a week!
    For the flat head cats, what is the best bait out there?

If your going to be fishing north of Parker Dam going to need the map for Havasu and the one for Mohave, should be able to find them at a local marina, mite find them at a wall mart out there, think I got updated one for Lake Havasu at the West Marine store in Havasu City, it also covers up the river from the lake to davis dam/Mohave also covers the Topock marsh,

As far as Blythe and flatheads go it's getting to be prime time down there right now,,, getting the itch,,, might make the 100 mile run down there from Topock Sat morn n, next weekend, think n fish up near the PV dam be launching from the Mayflower county park,, be bringing my G3 jon boat, got to get a new impeller for the North River jet boat,, not sure yet just think n and if theirs a hint of wind in the forecast wont go,, last 2 times out at the river got blown out for the weekend,,, was going to do some paint n on the house out there with a airless and gave up,,, think n just pay someone now, get n to hot and its time to go fish n

I just finished painting a friends house, took 6 solid 12 hour days, but now I am done... Looks awesome if I may say so myself. I broke my original Greco Airless trying to stray "Dry lock", which is a concrete sealing paint, about as thick as thick mud, ended up buying a new Greco from home depot for $399, if this one lasts as long as the old one, it will be worth it, I bought the old one 15 years ago. I was planning on riding out to Az today, but yesterday evening I finally quit painting at 20:00, and realized that it was going to take an additional 6 - 8 hours to do it right, soooo I bit the bullet and just went ahead and finished up today. I would really like to get down there to the river next weekend, but with it being Mothers Day... My wife would not understand if I was not at home...Oh well that just puts me off for 1 more week. Out of curiosity, what City are you from? I now have a brand new airless, and would consider trading painting labor for fishing knowledge... (LOL).
    Oh yeah, I ordered the map off the web site that you posted for me. $8.95 + $8.95 S&H. I hope that it will give mea good idea of additional places to get on the river and increase my success rates.
    The house painting is really time consuming doing the detail work and masking. The main painting is pretty quick and straight forward, I'm sure that you already know this!!!
    Last edited by Durdy Daug; 05-02-2016 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12