Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP with fish finder selection!

Thank you, the boat is once again in the shop getting the wheel barring's replaced. I will pick it up on Friday morning, then I'm
    'm going to pack the truck and then off to Blythe at 04:00 Saturday morning. My plan is to set up camp in the morning, hopefully sleep for a few hours and then get out on the water about 16:00, and fish till 08:00, then back to the tent to sleep during the day and get up eat and fish the evening and through out the night. Planning on fishing for red ear in the late afternoon till dark, then take the catch to a different, hopefully find a deep hole and fish for cat fish through the night. I bought an underwater light to hopefully increase my chances at getting that big cat or possibly even a big striper, Not sure if striper bite at night or not, but I do know that the night time is the right time for the cats!

Good Luck Buddy.....on the Fish-Finder, and in Blythe. Like I told you on the Phone the Boys and I will be rollin out the first week of May, Tues till Fri if the heat is not 2 bad the Water level should be up so we won't have to worry about the sand Bars....but still keep one eye out for them ! That River is sometimes unforgiving....so hit those back-waters for the Bluegills...and catch those Flatheads at night.

Where do you suggest that I fish for the flatheads at night? the back waters or the main river?
    PS. I would love to join your group if at all possible, I will just hang around where you all are fishing in my own boat. I don't drink and am quite quiet and reserved! Simply want to meet fellow freshwater anglers and learn different techniques and spots.

I called the sheriff station today just to ensure that I was operating within the law, the answer was that as long as I am in a rural area I can open carry a pistol, however it must be completely unloaded and visible, the magazines can be fully loaded with 10 rounds or less and can be carried in my pocket. That is the law for California, but if I cross the boarder into Arizona, I can open carry my pistol fully loaded. That really doesn't make a lot of since to me as it is pretty easy to reach into my pocket and retrieve my fully loaded magazine, and load the weapon, but never the less that is what they explained as the law, to transport said weapon to the "Rural" area through any incorporated areas the weapon must be stored in a locked container, Again the magazine and rounds need not be locked away, only the weapon... Well I was told pretty much the same thing from Devore flyer, but in my fear of going to jail, I just had to know for sure.
    Anyhow, I am planning on returning to Blythe this weekend, the weather forecast keeps changing, like every day, the wind speed continues to increase! Never the less I still plan on giving it a go. The Temps are projected to reach 100 degrees this upcoming week in the day time, so I am really going to try to force myself to sleep in the air-conditioned room in the day and then fish for those big cats at night! I bought a floating light to attract the fish at night, and I am wondering if the striper bite at night down there, also I am wondering if the striper venture into the back waters and canals, as I am not wanting to be on the main river at night for safety reasons.
    Any input?

Really never felt the need of a weapon out fishing in Blythe, guess guys fish n the Imperial Valley canals mite, just one thing not to worry about,, fish finder should work just fine, side imaging might have been of help on the river,, fish n at night more likely to chase off a flat with a light then to attract them, better to attract them with a good bait properly located, finding a deep hole is not going to find you a big flat, flats are going to be looking around the dinner table, that being near the bank around cover in slower moving water, seen flats cruzn within a foot of the bank in a foot off water, me Ill fish the river for flats any time over a backwater, for me just easier to predict where the flats are going to be, one the best places is at/near the mouth of the backwater, the one thing I can suggest is try to be setup in your spot an hour or so before sundown one of the best bite is sundown

what Im seeing is mid 80s with low 60s and 20+mph wind ,, going to get colder on the river at night dress warm ,, river flowes look good today http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/hourly/yester.html http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/hourly/hourly.html

Thanks for the information, I just got back. I was able to hook lots of red ear, 30+ LMB 1 (3 inch) striper, and 1 really weird looking cat that was only about 16 inches. Had a really good time, fished the back waters, and Saturday night I tried fishing near the mouth of one of the back water canals, but nothing biting. I dressed really warm for the nights, and in the day I sweated my a.. off! Again a good time, I went down river for 15 minutes (6 or 7 miles) came back just after sundown, that was a really scary time, it seemed as though there was fog which made it really hard to navigate my way back to the camp site. I had bought a spot light that additionally runs off the cigarette lighter, 1000 lumens, that was a great investment! I also bought a Bow navigation light with a remote controlled spot light for $180 from BPS, it would not work, because I did not have enough power at the fuse? Oh well I think it will be great on my new boat, just not so sure about taking it out there to Blythe, the water was really shallow without any warning...

I think you should use 7" screen, I recommend a Lowrance Hook 7 (Hook 5 for 5" ~$450 on amazon), if you are a fan of Humminbird, Helix 7 DI is a good choice (~$380 on amazon). You should read this buying guide before making purchase: Best Fish Finder Reviews

Thank you, I did buy the hook 7, it works great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12