Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Into the mind of etucker1959 (Mercantilism)

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    General welfare clause refers to a clause in the U.S. Constitution that empowers Congress to levy taxes and pay debts for the general welfare of the country. This clause is referred under USCS Const. Art. I, � 8, Cl 1 of the U.S. Constitution. The provisions of the section reads as follows: "Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States."

The U. S. Supreme Court first interpreted the clause in United States v. Butler, 297 U.S. 1 (U.S. 1936). The court in this case held that the general welfare language in the taxing-and-spending clause constituted a separate grant of power to Congress to spend in areas over which it was not granted direct regulatory control.
    So, your point of this cut and paste exercise? The Supreme Court also issued the Dred Scott decision. Plessy v. Ferguson as well. Neither one a shining moment.

That "We the people" are still actively debating the meaning of our Constitution even today? I agree.

BTW, what does a "natural born citizen" really mean under the Constitution?

Rafael may get the chance to find out.

John
    Last edited by John Harper; 04-08-2016 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hookdfisherman View Post
    Not that I despise research... but ok Spaniards invented the mercantile system.

The Spanish felt they needed ships to protect all that silver they pillaged.

The building of the wooden boats (like wooden nets? ) Eventually brought down their house... no?

So tell me again... how well did mercantilism [sp] work?

If the system they invented cannot sustain their country... does that system work or not? Please let us know your thoughts on on this...

And now, I don't care to research this either... but you want to bring this system back? Is that your theory to save the good ol' U S of A? [Pro courtesy? please clarify?]

Again, no research on my part, I'd rather fish... but a better system came along... one that supposedly accommodated for growth and better prosperity (I mean, last time you caught a yellow, it wasn't on a ship from the Spanish armada correct? If a better system works, why not use it...?)

Guess a *global economy with a free market that considers supply and demand forces kinda works... we do have them big ol battleships now a days to pillage oil...

(*Don't quote me on this... I just threw a bunch of economic terms I remember together. I'm not sure it's real or not but it sounds good, I hope...)

we again might need to build that starship soon though. ..

You asked some very good questions so I'll answer them one at a time.

How well did mercantilism work for the Spanish?????

1. Well we all knew Columbus discovered the New world in 1492. The Spanish empire for all intense and purposes ended in 1898 in the Spanish American War. Doing the math that's 406 years. (Wow!!!) That's almost as long as the Western Roman Empire lasted. (I didn't count the Roman Republic time period) Yes it was in decline for years before that, but that's not a bad run!!!! As I stated earlier they foolishly spent a considerable amount of their New World wealth on trying to Conquer their neighbors and turn them back to Catholicism.

You want to bring the system back????

2. First of all it's not an all or nothing system. It's not like we are replacing Capitalism with Communism. Let me restate the definition of mercantilism I learned in college. When the government artificially manipulates the economy to promote national goals. You can have only one goal or as many goals as you want. My biggest concern is having a big unemployed population. I mentioned in the past about having Bread & Circus's for the permanent unemployed. (you weren't around when I was pounding that drum) Of course that solution doesn't set well with our Conservative members of our population.

If a better system came along would you use it????

3. Of course I would!!!! (I'm a pragmatist) Capitalisms is the best system anyone ever came up with to use. But it's not perfect!!! (there is no perfect system) So I'm suggesting a blending of the two systems for the betterment of America. Will this effect the global economy??? Yes it will, especially China, Mexico, Japan, India and some developing nations. Do I care???? I am an American first and that's where my loyalty's lay!!!!

I answered part of the Global economy question in my previous answer but I will address using the Battleships.

In studying Roman history in college, I remember about in the middle time period of the Roman empire (300 AD) they were running out of money. There solution was to conquer one of their neighbors who was rich with silver mines. (it did work and refilled the Roman coffers) One of Hitler's goals after he reversed the treaty of Versailles was to give the Germany people more living space by conquering his neighbors. (thank God that didn't work) Unfortunately for the USA in modern times we don't do that anymore. (as in conquering our neighbors) We just give it back to them once we made them cry uncle!! lol We did do that in the 18th & 19th centuries (we kept what we won) that's how we ended up sea to shining sea!!!! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-08-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post

How well did mercantilism work for the Spanish?????

1. Well we all knew Columbus discovered the New world in 1492. The Spanish empire for all intense and purposes ended in 1898 in the Spanish American War. Doing the math that's 406 years. (Wow!!!) That's almost as long as the Western Roman Empire lasted. (I didn't count the Roman Republic time period) Yes it was in decline for years before that, but that's not a bad run!!!! As I stated earlier they foolishly spent a considerable amount of their New World wealth on trying to Conquer their neighbors and turn them back to Catholicism.
    I want to say this!!! "We here at FNN are talking about a subject that you only studied in school." The common man and politicians haven't quite got up to speed on this on yet!!!" (Except the Donald) I mentioned this a couple of years ago on here to HawgZY what the Donald said about Mercantilism and he couldn't believe it!!! (the Donald is saying it loud and clear now) Also Deve stated in one of his post about America's future, things are going to change if we like it or not. Mercantilism is just a tool we have to make things go better in our direction.

John I would suggest you open any of your utility bills and look at all of the taxes and fees. The black ink on white paper you see is the "General Welfare Cause" alive and well. Research and you will find what all of those taxes and fees actually pay and provide for the "General Welfare".
    Oh and don't forget to look at the taxes and fees while you are at the gas pump filling up. I'm thinking "General Welfare" prove me wrong.
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 04-08-2016 at 09:17 AM.

I want to say this!!! "We here at FNN are talking about a subject that you only studied in school." The common man and politicians haven't quite got up to speed on this on yet!!!" (Except the Donald) I mentioned this a couple of years ago on here to HawgZY what the Donald said about Mercantilism and he couldn't believe it!!! (the Donald is saying it loud and clear now) Also Deve stated in one of his post about America's future, things are going to change if we like it or not. Mercantilism is just a tool we have to make things go better in our direction.
    As a common man might say in this sitch.... huh?

I on'y studied it in schoo'?

Where did you study econ101 and the mechanics of mercantilism as a path to economic recovery in the modern age?

cause and effect... mercantilism will have repercussions that might be good or might be bad... how did it ultimately work out for espana? England and her new world colonies?

Who's our mercantilism expert able to implement and carry out this task?

Will the cliton be up to the task?

I can't recall your girl ever saying mercantilism or even my solution to the trade imbalance will be...

I could be wrong and will do research... if you can head me in the right direction on this here fnn campaign issue...

I can't tell if you like or hate mercantilism either... maybe I should just stay out of this thread... I'm so confused...
    Last edited by hookdfisherman; 04-08-2016 at 09:57 AM.

I answered part of the Global economy question in my previous answer but I will address using the Battleships.

In studying Roman history in college, I remember about in the middle time period of the Roman empire (300 AD) they were running out of money. There solution was to conquer one of their neighbors who was rich with silver mines. (it did work and refilled the Roman coffers) One of Hitler's goals after he reversed the treaty of Versailles was to give the Germany people more living space by conquering his neighbors. (thank God that didn't work) Unfortunately for the USA in modern times we don't do that anymore. (as in conquering our neighbors) We just give it back to them once we made them cry uncle!! lol We did do that in the 18th & 19th centuries (we kept what we won) that's how we ended up sea to shining sea!!!! lol
    maybe get an understanding of global economy.

you're maybe thinking zero sum game in that old world philosophy you keep bringing up?

or you want a starship too? like me!

John I would suggest you open any of your utility bills and look at all of the taxes and fees. The black ink on white paper you see is the "General Welfare Cause" alive and well. Research and you will find what all of those taxes and fees actually pay and provide for the "General Welfare".
    Oh and don't forget to look at the taxes and fees while you are at the gas pump filling up. I'm thinking "General Welfare" prove me wrong.
    "Taxes are what we pay for a civilized society", to quote Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. If you object to any or all of these taxes or fees, the state and federal legislature is where this issue can be properly (and legally) addressed.

I do think we all like (and want) good roads, schools, police services, 911 networks, fire/paramedic services, decent water and sewage treatment systems, etc. They don't come from planting magic beans. Not paying taxes won't get it done either.
    John
    Last edited by John Harper; 04-08-2016 at 11:09 AM.

John we are paying for it. How much is enough, how much is to much........I guess Bernie has all the answers....

How much is enough, how much is to much........
    I'm old enough and educated enough (and maybe even wise enough) to know that I don't have the answer. I sure wish I did.

John
    Last edited by John Harper; 04-08-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Harper View Post
    I'm old enough and educated enough (and maybe even wise enough) to know that I don't have the answer. I sure wish I did.

John
    John, you could start by addressing the fact that we are "paying for it" directly and indirectly, not only with our taxes but vis-à-vis the corporate plutocracy conservatives always seem to omit in their arguments against gov't spending. Seems the only "citizens" they care about in that regard are the ones represented in cases like Citizens United v. FEC......
    Last edited by Lady Quagga; 04-08-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast