Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blythe was on !

Default Blythe was on !

Things started out scratchy, on the way down my signal lights on the truck had stopped working, so I pulled off and messed with all the fuses, all was good, continued down the road, got to B&B at 08:58, bought some gold fish, and called a local for guide advise, ended up at a sweet spot on the back water put up the tent and got excited and tried to launch from where I was, the truck ended up getting stuck in soft sand. Well that was when things really started to go north, I realized too late that I had forgotten to put the plug in, also forgot to unhitch the boat at the back, and had the transom rod still attached! the truck was down to the frame, the trailer down to the tongue, I had a shovel in the truck so I tried to dig my way out, no doing... a boater passed by and I asked for help, he was kind and brought his truck and I hooked my tow strap to his hitch, the strap broke without even budging my truck, so I cut the strap into 4 pieces, and he was able to pull me out. The boat had taken on soo much water, that my battery charger, which I had stored in the battery compartment, shorted out, lucky for me I had a spare!
    Went out fishing about 18:00 for some red ear, my navigational lights stopped working so I navigated with a flash light. Stayed out till about 24:00 when my feet felt like 2 ice cubes, went back to the camp site, slept till 05:00, went out again for red ear, and ended up hooking my first ever SMB, on a 7/0 circle hook! Go figure! My buddy and I then went to a sand bar to try for catfish, after about 2 hours of nothing, we drifted off the sand bar, going backward, both my lines ended up tangled, once I finally got everything straight, my buddy calls out "Monster Cat" I cast out, and instantly my line was going up current, I tried to keep up with my trolling motor, but I was not even able to even keep still, my buddy got on the main motor, and I was reeling like crazy, (Circle hook so no swinging on the fish), finally I could not gain any line and none was going out... Got rocked, lost 12 oz of lead and the 7/o circle hook!
    Well I had a blast, I can't wait to get back out again really soon!

Sounds like you had quite an adventure! Glad all ended well for you...

All's well that ends well...........

Maybe you knew, but I understand you can use bluegill for bait in the river. Cat candy.

Yeah, I did hear that, we even tried soaking one for a couple of hours, but it was a no go. It seems like I have more adventures while fishing than most, either that or else I'm the only fool to admit it!
    I am all ready to hit it again the next weekend after this one. Worked out a few more of the kinks on the boat. I was trying to sell it, but now I decided to just keep it specifically for the river, the boat handled very well, and the flat bottom was a real blessing!
    I bought a new extra heavy tow strap, jumper cables, 28 oz weights, a 900 lumen spot light, so now I'm thinking that once again I am ready to take on some big fish, I think that I will end up using my swim bait rod for the next trip!

Did you at least checkout Oxbow Lake in Palo Verde?

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    Did you at least checkout Oxbow Lake in Palo Verde?
    I fished that place last year. Really cool spot.

No, I stayed on the river, and the back water, next trip I may be able to check that out, what is it like?

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    Maybe you knew, but I understand you can use bluegill for bait in the river. Cat candy.
    yep gills make good bait as will the red ear sunfish, tilapia, baby carp,, on the river 95% of the time never use over 3oz of weight, also if your down in PV cheak out Cibola lake on the NWR some nice flats in there , only thing is its electric motor only, have had better luck on it then the pv oxbow

I tried to use a light weight, but the current carried away even 8 oz of lead. How do you manage to keep the bait under control with less than 16 oz of lead? For the red ear we did not use any weight, only a bobber and hook, but for the cats, we were trying to soak the bait, and unless we had a good deal of lead, we would have gotten spooled before we ever got bit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast