Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Bako Boys NoCal saltin again.. 300 lb TUNA!!! DODO's, WSB, big rockfishing trip....

Default Bako Boys NoCal saltin again.. 300 lb TUNA!!! DODO's, WSB, big rockfishing trip....

Took the family over for our annual week long vacation in SLO, did some pier hoping and surf fishing with very, very little action. Didn't feel like beating myself up on the rocks and surf. Guess fishing off boats has me spoiled. Spent my childhood surf fishing from the rocks at Avila and San Simeon.

Heres a sample of the wide open perch fishing off the pier.. No bigguns

Weds we decided to drive the 1 from Piedras Blancas to Monterey.. Gorgeous drive that every Californian says they need to do. Well we did it and it is beautiful and all but won't be doing that again. 3 hrs to go 90+ miles... Saw plenty of whales on the horizon

Bixby bridge

Got into Monterey and decided to take the kids to the Monterey bay Aquarium... Guess they heard about us, had this sign out front

Kinda cool seeing Black Sea Bass, White Sea Bass, Salmon, Stripers, Tuna, Dodo's, etc.. Watched the rockfish hide, and hover in the kelp forests was interesting. They would rest in the leaves and try to look like the kelp. 90% of them facing down..

Here are some of the fish, sorry for the bad pic.. I was still, the fish weren't

Salmon

WSB

I think this is the 20 lb striper.. not sure

BSB

I know this is the striper

Heres the barn door Tuna, I just assumed it was a BFT, didn't really pay attention, MO thinks its a Yellowfin. anyway this thing was 8 ft long, 2-3 ft across.. Dwarfed a 6-7 ft hammerhead

Heres a couple clips

They said they had BFT there,, ???????????????? You Tuna experts should be able to tell...

I will say one thing, those streaks, chrome look they have is absolutely incredible. They look like they are made of metal

FWD to Thursday and my son Eddie and I had a shallow water rockfish trip lined up. 100 ft or less, none of that 250+ cranking up 1 lb weights all day..

We went out of the new Morro Bay Landing. They have a dedicated shallow water trip every Thursday. I know the capt a little, Brad and his boat the Endevour. Can't say much more than my boy and I caught probably 70 fish. Good thing is that shallow a lot of the gophers can go back down if released.

Limits of Lings, 6 Reds, I was happy with a handful of underrated Blues, we had to fill our limits with gophers, white bellies and a tree fish. Saw a nice sheepshead farmed at the surface. Kind of rare up here in Morro Bay. Whats a Bako Boy fish report without a tailgate shot?

Good times, fun vacation...

Started out with MO for some friends fishing

Ended up with some family time and some great rockfishing.

Talked with MO and we are trying to figure out a way to fish that tank at Monterey Bay Aq... TB doesn't think we can pull it off but MO is all for trying!!!!!!

I didn't say that it couldn't be done,,,,,,,,,just throw some bako boy charm on the night time female gate keeper and it,l be onnnnn

Problem is that once the dues are paid up for the nights fishing The sun will be coming up.

Great report cut bait,,,,,,,,,,

Il be up there the last week this month ,, Im going to try that shallow rock fish boat.

TRAIL BLAZER

Thursdays only TB.... 7-3

I used the Bako boy big hammer on a 1 ounce head.

The red 6 oz anchovy shaped iron KILLED.. almost every drip. But lots of small fish.

The guys using shrimp Flys tipped with squid did not catch one fish with any size. Though they caught a lot of small fish
    Last edited by cutbait; 07-11-2015 at 11:50 AM.

IM THINKING THOSE 7 INCH BIG HAMMERS THAT I HAVE ON A 3OZ GLOW HEAD,,aND A 60Z IRON IN RED AND PURPLE,,

c,mon vacation!

thanks for the info bro

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    IM THINKING THOSE 7 INCH BIG HAMMERS THAT I HAVE ON A 3OZ GLOW HEAD,,aND A 60Z IRON IN RED AND PURPLE,,

c,mon vacation!

thanks for the info bro

Yeah, some others had root beer and Halloween patterns in 7 inch. They caught but not as good as my 5 inch BB on a 1 oz.

There was zero wind.. I tried a 4 oz head for better contact and faster fall. But went back to the 1 oz.

Maybe doesn't matter or not but felt like it did.

I tell ya what, if the wind and swell is anything like it was that day you won't be using anything more than a 3.

Use your duct rods for more fun. That's what I did