Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Crestliner, Lund or Tracker which one

Default WTB: Crestliner, Lund or Tracker which one

Ok, here's the story, my neighbor a few houses down wants to buy a new boat, it's to fish the local lakes. He's about to retire in 2 years, I think he said he'll be 66.

He's had a few boats before and sold them, they were all fiberglass salt water type boats up to a 25', but never owed a tin boat.

He's looking for something he can carry his grand baby in, she's 2 years old as well as his son and daughter in law and maybe a buddy.

The boat can either be in the 17' or 19' range maximum. It will be of a new boat purchase, he's never purchased anything used, I can tell by his cars or trucks too, lol.

Of the 3 boats mentioned (Crestliner, Lund or Tracker), what are some of the pro's and con's of each?

You don't have to be an owner of these and second hand experience or internet news is fine. If you have such a boat, great.

What would be your ideal boat to fish Castaic, Pyramid, DVL if money (or the monthly payments) were not a problem?

Well, in terms of reputation for quality, it's generally Lund > Crestliner > Tracker. Coincidentally, it's that same order when it comes to price as well, funny how that works.

Lunds are riveted, while Crestliners and Trackers are welded, if that's important to you. But it's not really clear that one is always better than the other. Lund owners say that welds aren't flexible and can crack, and welded boat owners say that rivets can loosen and leak. I believe there's some truth to both sides.

Lots more Crestliners and Trackers in the local area, until recently there wasn't even a Lund dealer in southern california.

Otherwise, it really depends on what your neighbor wants to do with the boat. You might want to check out walleye central, lots of posts there about multi-species tin boats.

If money were truly no object, then I would frankly go for a Ranger fiberglass multi-species boat. 619 series if he mostly fishes and wants to have a little watersport fun, and Reata if it's the other way around. Tin boats get blown around by the wind, and don't ride as well in the chop.

If he (I) were going to fish big waters as in Midwest or south US then I'd say Crestliner or Lund. But for the little reservoir lakes around here I'd have no problem recommending a Tracker V hull. You say money isn't an issue so if he's the kind of guy who wants bragging rights or just the feeling of having "the best" then a Lund or Crestliner would be top choice. For sheer $ value the Tracker would be up there. Any of the three would give him years and years of use and satisfaction. I think, since any of these would perform anything he needs, that he needs to see and feel them all first hand and go by first hand impression. Can't imagine any real hidden caveats.

If I were shopping for a new boat like You described I would go straight for either a Lund or Smokercraft. Both of these boats are leaders in there respected price ranges. You can now get a Lund locally in Southern California at Last Chance Performance Marine at Hemet CA. They have a great selection and some there that are not on their web-site. I would pick a Smokercraft over a Alumacraft had I the choice because they have developed most of the innovations you find in the aluminum boat market that Alumacraft and Tracker among many others have copied .

DsrtTortse

..............crestliner................

crestliner

I vote for Crestliner. We have had ours since 1992 and it was fished in salt and fresh in the Northwest for 9 years and we have been using it in our local lakes from 2001. Would recommend him seeing all three of the mention manufacture's and check out the different models - IMO any of the three would suffice for the local lakes. Sounds like he needs the seating capacity to support the family&friends, has he even considered a pontoon? The Lund vs. Crestliner sibling rivalry has been going on for years. Hope he finds a boat that makes him happy.

Crestliner

I have read some horrible reviews about Tracker boats online , I would never buy one myself. He would be wise to do a google search and read reviews for each brand IMO.

I purchased a one owner 2005 Tracker Pro Team 185 a couple of years ago and it was an excellent fishing platform for what I used it for - mostly bass fishing with some occasional bait/wait striper trips mixed in. It had the 60hp Merc 4 stroke and did around 36-38 mph. I fished it at DVL, Silverwood, Skinner & Perris. No complaints at all.

Over the summer the "boss", aka wife, went for a ride in a friend's Stratos. She came back and said "we need a new boat". Well, let's just say that's all the green light I needed. I was able to sell the Tracker for what I paid for it and in no time I was at Angler's Marine in Anaheim, picking up a pretty decked out Ranger. While I really had no formal complaints about the Tracker at all, it's no fiberglass boat and it was certainly not a Ranger. It was like going from a Honda Accord to a Mercedes Benz.

If payment is really "not an issue", then I'd go for more boat, but in all honesty, if he's not in the market for a Benz of a boat, I can only speak for my own experience and say that mine was a great one with my Tracker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast