Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Day In Paradise 3/3/16

Default Another Day In Paradise 3/3/16

Quick report as I'm freakin beat. Water level has dropped ~6 vertical feet the past two weeks, the boat dock is literally sitting in about 5ft of water. Took a couple pics for reference, maybe can help the shore guys plan accordingly for the weekend.

Water clarity is pretty poor around the entire lake, less than 10ft visibility in some areas. However, coupled with cloud cover made for some great fishing. I was intrigued to see how the drawing of the lake would affect the bite and the bass that are staging, but all seemed well today. Hopefully they fill it back up soon, any lower and I don't see how the boat ramp can even be accessible.

Threw soft plastics all day and caught a couple nicer ones on a 3/4oz fb jig paralleling the bank. There's a large volume of smaller bass roaming the shallows, if you can weed through them there's some nicer models in the mix. All fish were caught in 25ft or less and a lot of them right up against the bank. Saw some bass fry in the back of a cove on the south side, crazy that some bass are already in post spawn mode. Also caught a strange looking smb that almost looked like it had cross bred with a largemouth? One side of it looked like a typical smallie, but the other side looked almost half smb/half lmb.

It was an awesome day on the water, everyone played nice and I'm sure others knocked em dead. I'll be out again Saturday before the storm with a buddy.

Also before I forget I want to thank a member on FNN named Andy (not sure what your username is) he was kind enough to text me and offer a free ticket to the Fred Hall Show. I personally don't know him and have never met him, but it goes to show that there are some great people on this forum. Thanks buddy I really appreciated the offer! Good mojo your way for sure.

Nice job. That 4th fish looks like a SMB/LMB hybird. Hopefully the coming storms will add more agua into the jewel.

Quote Originally Posted by OG MUDBONE View Post
    Water level has dropped ~6 vertical feet the past two weeks, the boat dock is literally sitting in about 5ft of water. Took a couple pics for reference, maybe can help the shore guys plan accordingly for the weekend.
    Great post, the above info WITH your pic of the ramp.............wow.

See any blue herons, snowy egrets or terns working shore bait??

Those are some fatties you got there....
    All quality fish....those smallies are a blast to catch...
    Looks like paradise for sure....

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    Nice job. That 4th fish looks like a SMB/LMB hybird. Hopefully the coming storms will add more agua into the jewel.
    Quote Originally Posted by bass413 View Post
    Great post, the above info WITH your pic of the ramp.............wow.
    I hope it's dumping up north! Not even gonna lie DVL is starting to look sad, soo much good structure high & dry

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    See any blue herons, snowy egrets or terns working shore bait??
    Been seeing a ton of gulls and egrets, specially on the west end. I actually haven't seen much bait, I've been more focused on specific areas and spots within spots with the given conditions. It's been a great season so far that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by madbass View Post
    Those are some fatties you got there....
    All quality fish....those smallies are a blast to catch...
    Looks like paradise for sure....

Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks man, smallies are awesome they fight like hell they're always a bonus!

Saturday payed off big time got to play tug-o-war on light line with a beast without her belly... epic fight! Can't wait to get back out again been on a good little pattern, just hope the weather steadies a bit.

Last edited by OG MUDBONE; 03-06-2016 at 11:53 PM.

I visit DVL once or twice a year from snowy Chicago and will be out there this week. Normally we fish from our own boat but with the water way down it looks like shore fishing will be my only option. Can anyone let me know if the shore access has been decent and if it would still be worth coming out and giving it a go from shore?? Any feedback would be most appreciated...thanks all!!

Quote Originally Posted by OG MUDBONE View Post
    Quick report as I'm freakin beat. Water level has dropped ~6 vertical feet the past two weeks, the boat dock is literally sitting in about 5ft of water. Took a couple pics for reference, maybe can help the shore guys plan accordingly for the weekend.

Water clarity is pretty poor around the entire lake, less than 10ft visibility in some areas. However, coupled with cloud cover made for some great fishing. I was intrigued to see how the drawing of the lake would affect the bite and the bass that are staging, but all seemed well today. Hopefully they fill it back up soon, any lower and I don't see how the boat ramp can even be accessible.

Threw soft plastics all day and caught a couple nicer ones on a 3/4oz fb jig paralleling the bank. There's a large volume of smaller bass roaming the shallows, if you can weed through them there's some nicer models in the mix. All fish were caught in 25ft or less and a lot of them right up against the bank. Saw some bass fry in the back of a cove on the south side, crazy that some bass are already in post spawn mode. Also caught a strange looking smb that almost looked like it had cross bred with a largemouth? One side of it looked like a typical smallie, but the other side looked almost half smb/half lmb.

It was an awesome day on the water, everyone played nice and I'm sure others knocked em dead. I'll be out again Saturday before the storm with a buddy.

Also before I forget I want to thank a member on FNN named Andy (not sure what your username is) he was kind enough to text me and offer a free ticket to the Fred Hall Show. I personally don't know him and have never met him, but it goes to show that there are some great people on this forum. Thanks buddy I really appreciated the offer! Good mojo your way for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast