Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass Scents

Default Bass Scents

Has anyone had a problem with the Procure Garlic scent fishing bass?
    We haven't skunked in years and we skunked last three trips in a row and realized that my buddy had bought Procure Garlic instead of the Smelly Jelly garlic we'd been using.

Your procure scent had absolutely nothing to do with skunking. That stuff is a complete scam and does not work at all. Never has and never will. It is an oil based scent. Bass olfactory receptors function as they are saturated with the water moving through them. Since oil is NOT soluble in water, any scent that is oil based is essentially invisible to bass. Don't waste your money at all. Look around for a water based scent that will mask human odors. It wont last as long but it will actually be effective.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Your procure scent had absolutely nothing to do with skunking. That stuff is a complete scam and does not work at all. Never has and never will. It is an oil based scent. Bass olfactory receptors function as they are saturated with the water moving through them. Since oil is NOT soluble in water, any scent that is oil based is essentially invisible to bass. Don't waste your money at all. Look around for a water based scent that will mask human odors. It wont last as long but it will actually be effective.

Hope this helps.
    Well it works for me on all types of fish saltwater included.

Quote Originally Posted by Theos View Post
    Well it works for me on all types of fish saltwater included.
    I was just explaining the anatomy and physiology of it....it is impossible for that stuff to do anything at all as far as scent is concerned. But if it gives you a psychological advantage and makes you feel confident than thats a good thing.
    Last edited by Stormcrow; 03-01-2016 at 01:19 PM.

The more likely reason for a skunk is:
    Sunscreen on your hands

Tobacco use while fishing - seen this on a cold water big trout bite, me getting dominated using exact same bait as buddy who is wacking them, only diff was my tobacco use

Recently lubed reel and you got a little on the line - (seen this many many many many times), me or a friend skunks when the other is fishing wide open
    Last edited by Stinkbait; 03-01-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    The more likely reason for a skunk is:
    Sunscreen on your hands

Tobacco use while fishing - seen this on a cold water big trout bite, me getting dominated using exact same bait as buddy who is wacking them, only diff was my tobacco use

Recently lubed reel and you got a little on the line - (seen this many many many many times), me or a friend skunks when the other is fishing wide open
    +1 on this...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I was just explaining the anatomy and physiology of it....it is impossible for that stuff to do anything at all as far as scent is concerned. But if it gives you a psychological advantage and makes you feel confident than thats a good thing.
    Psychological advantage ? I've caught trout on mackerel and anchovies using the stuff, numerous strippers from pyramid as well as small and largemouth bass bait and wait style from shore using the cure, so it's a little more than a "Psychological advantage" I would say.

Mackerel and anchovies will catch trout without scent, fish like to eat fish.

Default Bass Scent

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Has anyone had a problem with the Procure Garlic scent fishing bass?
    We haven't skunked in years and we skunked last three trips in a row and realized that my buddy had bought Procure Garlic instead of the Smelly Jelly garlic we'd been using.
    I get my scent from Asian Markets. Is call Shrimp paste. Just $1.99 in a small jar. Try it and let me know what you think.

That oil/water theory maybe true to a certain degree, but When I can see bass nose up to my bait and suck in the tail, then spit it out and swim off I put some BANG shad/crawfish oil on my bait and the next one tries to swallow the plastic. I'm not a fan of garlic except for trout fishing but rarely use it since it's really unnecessary IMO. I don't know what's in those two scents but if they also have fish oil they should work. Scent or no scent sounds like a new game plan is needed not just the right taste/smell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast