Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bass Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Your procure scent had absolutely nothing to do with skunking. That stuff is a complete scam and does not work at all. Never has and never will. It is an oil based scent. Bass olfactory receptors function as they are saturated with the water moving through them. Since oil is NOT soluble in water, any scent that is oil based is essentially invisible to bass. Don't waste your money at all. Look around for a water based scent that will mask human odors. It wont last as long but it will actually be effective.

Hope this helps.
    Thumbs up for this post. Another thing about this crap, don't get it on your expensive sunglasses, it's nearly impossible to get it off of them. I've tried several different scents and have noticed no difference at all. It won't get you more bites but if it's water based the fish MIGHT hold on to it a split second longer. In that case, one should look into learning to pull the trigger a little quicker...

Thanks for all of the input guys. I'm very familiar with the not leaving any human scent on anything and the garlic Smelly Jelly has worked well to the point of not one single skunk for the last 3-4 years on the boat (me and my buddy). Always at least a fish or two, to complete no bite skunks three trips in a row (5 out of 7 trips for my buddy) while other boats with the same setups are getting fish. I have to believe it's the Procure grease paste glue crap. It is impossible to get it off once it's on as well.
    I'll be switching it back (Smelly Jelly)next trip and let everyone know if there's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Theos View Post
    ...numerous strippers.
    I usually have to get the stripper smell off me, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Theos View Post
    Psychological advantage ? I've caught trout on mackerel and anchovies using the stuff, numerous strippers from pyramid as well as small and largemouth bass bait and wait style from shore using the cure, so it's a little more than a "Psychological advantage" I would say.
    The gentlemen was referring to Bass. But hey, what would I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    The gentlemen was referring to Bass. But hey, what would I know.
    Looks like reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
    "Psychological advantage ? I've caught trout on mackerel and anchovies using the stuff, numerous strippers from pyramid as well as small and largemouth bass bait and wait style from shore using the cure, so it's a little more than a "Psychological advantage" I would say."

Quote Originally Posted by ela View Post
    I get my scent from Asian Markets. Is call Shrimp paste. Just $1.99 in a small jar. Try it and let me know what you think.
    I'll have to give it a try, sounds good.

I know it's an old post, but for me when I'm fishing plastics for bass from shore, I rub the worm, Senko, Brush Hog, Ika or whatever with shoreline mud. Really rub it into the bait. Then fish with it. I really think this helps to erase the human scent from the soft plastic and adds a natural earthy scent. Had a guide show us this years ago and it really seems to help get more bites.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    I know it's an old post, but for me when I'm fishing plastics for bass from shore, I rub the worm, Senko, Brush Hog, Ika or whatever with shoreline mud. Really rub it into the bait. Then fish with it. I really think this helps to erase the human scent from the soft plastic and adds a natural earthy scent. Had a guide show us this years ago and it really seems to help get more bites.
    I like that idea, except going to the shore with the boat to rub it in mud isn't an option. I guess you could scoop some before launching into a container.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12